List of kings of Urartu
This page lists the kings of Urartu (Ararat or Kingdom of Van), an Iron Age kingdom centered on Lake Van in the Eastern Turkey.
Rise to power
- Sarduri I (also Sarduris I) 834 BC–828 BC; moved the capital to Tushpa, expanded the fortress of Van.
- Ishpuini the Establisher 828 BC–810 BC; expanded the empire and conquered Mushashir.
- Menua the Conqueror 810 BC–785 BC; greatly expanded the kingdom, organized the centralized administrative structure, fortified a number of cities and founded fortresses, developed a national canal and irrigation system.
- Argishti I (also Argishtish I) 785–763 BC; fortified the empire's frontier, founded Erebuni (modern-day Yerevan).
- Sarduri II 763 BC–735 BC; maximum expansion; zenith of Urartian power.
- Rusa I 735 BC–714 BC; Assyrian and Cimmerian attacks.
Defeat and destruction
The Orontid Dynasty begins with King Orontes I Sakavakyats (570 BC–560 BC), after the last king of Urartu.
- Boris Piotrovskii, The Ancient Civilization of Urartu, London, 1969.
- Igor Diakonoff, The Pre-History of the Armenian People, Caravan Books, New York, 1988.
- M. Chahin, The Kingdom of Armenia, Curzon, London, 2001.