List of highest United States cities by state
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.
- This list is about the highest cities in the United States; for a list of highest cities in the world, see List of highest cities in the world.
This is an incomplete list of the highest United States cities by state. Only settlements that are permanently occupied all year long are included, and only the highest in each state is listed.
|Altitude||Name||State, District or Territory||Comments|
|10,200 feet (3109 m)||Leadville||Colorado||Leadville is the highest city. The towns of Montezuma at 10,335 feet (3150 m) and Alma at 10,355 feet (3156 m) are higher. The town limits of Winter Park (9052 feet (2759 m)) extend to 12,060 feet (3676 m).|
|9800 feet (2987 m)||Brian Head||Utah||Town Offices elevation 9,656'|
|9321 feet (2841 m)||Taos Ski Valley||New Mexico||Some homes and businesses above 10,000'|
|9062 feet (2762 m)||Fox Park||Wyoming||Highest incorporated city or town is Encampment at 7,277 feet.|
|8356 feet (2547 m)||Greer||Arizona||An unincorporated community and census-designated place in Apache County, Arizona, United States, in the White Mountains in the east central part of the state. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 41.|
|7920 feet (2414 m)||Mammoth Lakes||California|
|7608 feet (2319 m)||Cooke City||Montana||Larger community Big Sky, surpassing 8,700', is unincorporated|
|7510 feet (2289 m)||Mount Charleston||Nevada||Unincorporated towb|
|7325 feet (2233 m)||Los Alamos||New Mexico||Elevation measured at the US post office on Central Avenue, and is based on a 2001 lidar survey (vertical datum NAVD88).|
|7198 feet (2194 m)||Santa Fe||New Mexico||Santa Fe is the capital of the State of New Mexico and the highest capital city in the United States. The population is 70,297.|
|7000 feet (2134 m)||Flagstaff, Arizona||Arizona||Flagstaff Arizona is at 7,000 feet above sea level, with a population of 66,000 and the home of Northern Arizona University. Looking at cities with a population of 25,000 or more, Flagstaff Arizona is the 2nd highest above sea level in the United States.|
|6253 feet (1906 m)||Stanley||Idaho||Stanley was the 2000 Census Center of Population in Idaho.|
|5817 feet (1773 m)||Truckee||California||Truckee was named after a Paiute chief. His assumed Paiute name was Tru-ki-zo. He was the father of Chief Winnemucca and grandfather of Sarah Winnemucca.|
|5506 feet (1678 m)||Beech Mountain||North Carolina||Some private roads above 5200'; town center is at 5075'|
|5315 feet (1620 m)||Custer||South Dakota||Most of Lead surpasses Custer in elevation|
|4900 feet (1494 m)||Fort Davis||Texas|
|4802 feet (1464 m)||Lakeview||Oregon|
|4702 feet (1433 m)||Sun Valley||Nevada||Unincorporated|
|4353 feet (1327 m)||Kenton||Oklahoma||Unincorporated|
|3907 feet (1191 m)||Kanorado||Kansas|
|3750 feet (1143 m)||Volcano||Hawaii||Unincorporated|
|3638 feet (1109 m)||Whitetop||Virginia||Unincorporated|
|3396 feet (1035 m)||Paxson||Alaska||Unincorporated|
|3192 feet (973 m)||Rhame||North Dakota|
|3166 feet (965 m)||Agrihan||Northern Mariana Islands||Currently uninhabited.|
|3163 feet (964 m)||Ta'u||American Samoa||Highest peak in Samoa Lata Mountain. Island Population: 873|
|3100 feet (945 m)||Davis||West Virginia||Davis is incorporated as a town. The highest place incorporated as a city is Bluefield, elevation 2611 feet (796 m), nicknamed "Summit City". The Snowshoe Mountain resort village is the second-highest point in the state at 4848 feet (1478 m), but is neither incorporated nor permanently populated.|
|3100 feet (945 m)||Sky Valley||Georgia|
|2790 feet (850 m)||Shady Valley||Tennessee|
|2622 feet (799 m)||Waterville||Washington|
|2530 feet (771 m)||Seven Springs||Pennsylvania||Highest incorporated city is Hazleton at 1,866 ft, one of the highest incorporated cities east of the Mississippi|
|2401 feet (732 m)||Aibonito||Puerto Rico|
|2349 feet (716 m)||Knapp Creek||New York||Unincorporated. Highest incorporated city is Olean at 1,447 ft|
|2215 feet (675 m)||Woodford||Vermont|
|2162 feet (659 m)||Compton||Arkansas||Highest incorporated city is Winslow at 1,729 ft.|
|2070 feet (631 m)||Frostburg||Maryland|
|2064 feet (629 m)||Peru||Massachusetts|
|2000 feet (610 m)||Isabella||Minnesota||Unincorporated community|
|1980 feet (604 m)||Clarksville||New Hampshire|
|1762 feet (537 m)||Payne Gap||Kentucky|
|1736 feet (529 m)||Star Lake||Wisconsin|
|1708 feet (521 m)||Mentone||Alabama|
|1645 feet (501 m)||Seymour||Missouri||Cedar Gap is the highest unincorporated community at 1705 feet.|
|1614 feet (492 m)||Rangeley||Maine|
|1598 feet (487 m)||Allendorf||Iowa||Highest incorporated city or town is Melvin at 1,581 ft.|
|1555 feet (474 m)||Saint Thomas||United States Virgin Islands||
Population: 51,634 about 48.5% of US Virgin Island total
|1550 feet (472 m)||Bellefontaine||Ohio||The highest point in Ohio, Campbell Hill, is within the city limits|
|1348 feet (411 m)||Gaylord||Michigan|
|1319 feet (402 m)||Goshen||Connecticut|
|1211 feet (369 m)||Bethel||Indiana|
|1120 feet (341 m)||Pickens||South Carolina|
|1033 feet (315 m)||Waddams Grove||Illinois|
|812 feet (247 m)||Foster||Rhode Island||Jerimoth Hill, highest point in Rhode Island, is located in Foster|
|561 feet (171 m)||Iuka||Mississippi|
|420 feet (128 m)||Barkley||Delaware||City closest to Ebright Azimuth, the highest point in Delaware.|
|384 feet (117 m)||Arcadia||Louisiana||Ruston is the highest incorporated city at 331 feet.|
|380 feet (116 m)||Washington DC||District of Columbia|
|345 feet (105 m)||Lakewood||Florida||Lowest natural high point in any state.|
- Colo Hwys: Elevation Trivia
- The Village of Taos Ski Valley - Providing infrastructure & services to a World Class Ski Resort Community | Providing infrastructure & services to a World Class Ski Resort Co...
- Alpine, Arizona : Image of the Day
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Greer CDP, Arizona". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 4, 2016.
- Construction west of Cooke City projected to be finished in fall of 2009
- Big Sky Mountain Village Populated Place Profile / Madison County, Montana Data
- City Data Top 100 highest located US Cities
- census.gov - state centers of population - 2000 - accessed 2011-12-10
- Truckee, CA.
- Beech Mountain - Eastern America's Highest Town
- Lakeview Oregon
- "Nevada 'Top Town'". Washoe County Travel and Tourism website. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- Oklahoma Film & Music Office - Kenton
- Virginia Creeper Trail Guide
- Williams, Mary Ann (Barnes) (1966). Origins of North Dakota Place Names. Bismarck, North Dakota: Bismarck Tribune, 1966. p. 43. OCLC 431626.
- World Atlas, Highest and Lowest Points on Islands
- Bluefield, West Virginia
- Sky Valley Georgia
- Welcome to Town of Water Ville, WA
- Mesothelioma.com - Hazleton, Pennsylvania
- To Puerto Rico - Aibonito
- "Knapp Creek". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Olean". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- All Getaways Green Mountains South around Benning
- Skyscraper Page Index
- Guide to Isabella Minnesota
- Clarksville, New Hampshire
- "USGS Geographic Names Information System". United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- USGS GNIS search
- Mentone, Dekalb County, Alabama
- Pickens, South Carolina (SC 29671) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, ne...
- Highest point in Rhode Island
- GNIS Detail - Barkley
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Washington D.C. Fast Facts
- Lakewood - Florida's Highest Point