List of countries by average wage
The average wage is a measure for the financial well-being of a country's inhabitants. The average wages are sometimes, like in this article, adjusted to living expenses ("purchasing power parity"). The wage distribution is right-skewed; the majority of people earn less than the average wage. For an alternative measure, the Median household income uses median instead of average.
The OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) dataset contains data on average annual wages for full-time and full-year equivalent employees in the total economy. Average annual wages per full-time equivalent dependent employee are obtained by dividing the national-accounts-based total wage bill by the average number of employees in the total economy, which is then multiplied by the ratio of average usual weekly hours per full-time employee to average usually weekly hours for all employees.
Average wages are converted in US dollar PPPs using 2015 US dollar PPPs for private consumption and are deflated by a price deflator for private final consumption expenditures in 2015 prices. The OECD is a weighted average based on dependent employment weights in 2015 for the countries shown.
|Country|| Average annual wages, 2015|
constant prices at 2015 US$ PPPs
Gross average monthly wage estimates for 2015 are computed by converting national currency figures from the UNECE (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe) Statistical Database, compiled from national and international (OECD, EUROSTAT, CIS) official sources. Wages in US dollars are computed by the UNECE Secretariat using nominal exchange rates.
Gross average monthly wages cover total wages and salaries in cash and in kind, before any tax deduction and before social security contributions. They include wages and salaries, remuneration for time not worked, bonuses and gratuities paid by the employer to the employee. Wages cover the total economy and are expressed per full-time equivalent employee.
|Country||Monthly average wage|
|Bosnia & Herzegovina||$731|
- List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita
- International Ranking of Household Income
- Wages and Salaries
- "Average annual wages, 2013 USD PPPs and 2013 constant prices". OECD.StatExtracts, stats.oecd.org. Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD. 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Gross Average Monthly Wages by Country and Year (2015)". UNECE. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- GDP per capita by country Interactive GDP chart that allows filtering by various national groupings (such as NATO, EU, BRIC, ASEAN etc.)
- Database Central Europe; average wages in emerging markets