List of construction trades
The following is a list of trades in construction.
- Boilermaker, works in nuclear and fossil power plants, shipyards, refineries and chemical plants, on boilers, pressure vessels, and similar equipment.
- Carpenter, a craftsperson who performs carpentry, building mainly with wood. Among carpentry's subsidiary trades are those of cabinet maker and millworker, cladder, framer, joiner, and roofer. Carpenters unions usually include drywall installer/lather, flooring installer, pile driver, millwright, diver, and diver tender.
- Carpet layer, one who specializes in laying carpet
- Dredger, may include Lead Dredgeman, Operator, Leverman, Licensed Tug Operator, Derrick Operator, Spider/Spill Barge Operator, Engineer, Electrician, Chief Welder, Chief Mate, Fill Placer, Operator II, Maintenance Engineer, Licensed Boat Operator, Certified Welder, Mate, Drag Barge Operator, Steward, Assistant Fill Placer, Welder, Boat Operator, Shoreman, Deckhand, Rodman, Scowman, Cook, Messman, Porter/Janitor, and Oiler.
- Electrician, specializing in electrical wiring of buildings and related equipment. Electricians may be employed in the construction of new buildings or maintenance of existing electrical infrastructure.
- Linemen, high voltage line and substation construction and maintenance trade, trade titles under power line technicians: electricians, Digger Machine Operator, Groundsman (laborer waiting for apprenticeship).
- Elevator mechanic installs vertical lift and transporting equipment
- Fencer, a tradesperson who builds fences
- Glazier, installs glass. May be included with Painters
- Heavy equipment operator, a driver and operator of heavy equipment used in engineering and construction projects. There may be many special function titles, such as Bargeman, Brakeman, Compressor operator, Elevator operator, Engineer Oiler, Forklift operator, Generator, pump or compressor plant operator, Signalman, Switchman, Conveyor operator, Fireman, Skiploader operator, Helicopter radioman, Boring machine operator, Boxman or mixerman, Asphalt plant engineer, Batch plant operator, Bit sharpener, Micro tunnel system operator, Pavement breaker operator, Drill Doctor, Drilling machine operator, Rotary drill operator, Canal liner operator, Canal trimmer operator, Concrete boom pump operator, etc.
- Insulation installer. Includes application of all insulating materials, protective coverings, coatings and finishes to all types of mechanical systems. Also Hazardous Material Handler
- Ironworker (or steel erector), erects or dismantles structural steel frames. Structural steel installation is usually crane-assisted. Workers rely on mobile, elevated platforms or scissor lifts. Ironworkers bolt the steelwork together using various tools, power tools and manual tools. Metallic Lathers may be included in this category.
- Laborer, a skilled worker proficient with pneumatic tools, hand tools, blasting, smaller heavy equipment. Laborers may also assist other tradespeople.
- Landscaper, a tradesperson who specializes in landscaping
- Mason, a tradesperson skilled variously in brick and blocklaying, concrete finishing (the placement, finishing, protecting and repairing of concrete in construction projects). Also stonemason, marble setter and Polisher, tile setter and polisher, terrazzo worker and finisher. Hod carrier is a subsidiary trade.
- Millwright installs various industrial equipment
- House painter and decorator, a tradesperson responsible for the painting and decorating of buildings, and is also known as a decorator or house painter. Also includes Paper Hanger, and may include Glazier
- Pile driver, a tradesperson who installs piles, drills shafts, and constructs certain foundation support elements
- Plasterer, a tradesperson who works with plaster, such as forming a layer of plaster on an interior wall or plaster decorative moldings on ceilings or walls.
- Plumber, a tradesperson who specialises in installing and maintaining systems used for plumbing, heating, drainage, potable (drinking) water or small-sized industrial process plant piping.
- Pipefitter (or steamfitter), a person who lays out, assembles, fabricates, maintains, and repairs large-sized piping systems capable of enabling high-pressure flow.
- Sheet metal worker installs HVAC ductwork and related work
- Fire sprinkler installer, installs fire sprinkler systems. May be included with Plumber
- Safety manager / Safety Officer
- Site manager
- Steel fixer ("ironworker" USA, also "rodbuster" USA/Australia), a tradesperson who positions and secures reinforcing bars and mesh used to reinforce concrete on construction projects. This trade is usually included with Ironworkers.
- Truck driver, or teamster, generally drives a truck or vehicle of some kind, but may also work on material handling and storage
- Welder, a tradesperson who specialises in welding