List of Denver Broncos first-round draft picks
The Denver Broncos are a professional American football team based in Denver, Colorado. They are members of the American Football Conference West Division in the National Football League (NFL). The franchise was formed on August 14, 1959 to compete in the American Football League (AFL). The first AFL Draft was held three months later. The last AFL draft the Broncos participated in was the 1966 draft, due to them joining the NFL as part of the AFL–NFL merger on June 8, 1966.
The Broncos first participated in the NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting, more commonly known as the NFL Draft, in 1967. In the NFL Draft, each NFL franchise annually seeks to add new players to its roster. Teams are ranked in reverse order based on the previous season's record; the worst record picks first, the second-worst picking second and so on. The two exceptions to this order are made for teams that appeared in the previous Super Bowl; the Super Bowl champion always picks 32nd, and the Super Bowl loser always picks 31st. Teams have the option of trading away their picks to other teams for different picks, players, cash, or a combination thereof. Thus, it is not uncommon for a team's actual draft pick to differ from their assigned draft pick, or for a team to have extra or no draft picks in any round due to these trades.
The Broncos selected Roger LeClerc, a placekicker from Trinity College, in the 1960 AFL Draft. In their first NFL Draft, the Broncos selected Floyd Little, a running back from Syracuse University. The Broncos have selected players from the University of Nebraska, University of Florida, and University of Tennessee three times each, the most from any university in the first-round. The team's most recent selections were Tim Tebow, a quarterback from Florida University and Demaryius Thomas, wide receiver from Georgia Tech. Three selections, Floyd Little, Merlin Olsen and Bob Brown, were enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1982 and 2004, respectively. In 1991, Mike Croel became the first Bronco to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year award, receiving 68 out of 82 votes.
|^||Indicates the player was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.|
|—||The Broncos did not draft a player in the first round that year.|
|Year||Each year links to an article about that particular AFL, Common, or NFL Draft.|
|Pick||Indicates the number of the pick within the first round|
|Position||Indicates the position of the player in the NFL|
|College||The player's college football team|
- a The Broncos traded their 1965 first-round pick along with defensive tackle Bud McFadin to the Houston Oilers for quarterback Jacky Lee.
- b 1 2 On August 15, 1967, the Broncos traded their #4 overall pick in the 1968 Draft and #9 overall pick in the 1969 Draft to the San Diego Chargers for quarterback Steve Tensi.
- c On January 28, 1971, the Broncos traded their #9 overall pick in the 1971 Draft and defensive end Alden Roche to the Green Bay Packers for the #12 overall pick in the 1971 Draft and quarterback Don Horn.
- d On February 1, 1980, the Broncos traded their #20 overall pick and a second-round pick in the 1980 Draft along with quarterback Craig Penrose to the New York Jets for quarterback Matt Robinson.
- e The Broncos traded their #19 overall pick in the 1982 Draft to the Buffalo Bills for the #21 overall pick and a fourth-round pick in the 1982 Draft.
- f On May 2, 1983, the Broncos traded their #19 overall pick in the 1984 Draft along with quarterback Mark Herrmann and guard Chris Hinton to the Baltimore Colts for quarterback John Elway.
- g On October 9, 1984, the Broncos traded their #21 overall pick and third-round pick in 1986 Draft and fifth-round pick in 1987 Draft to the Cincinnati Bengals for the draft rights of Ricky Hunley.
- h On April 23, 1989, the Broncos traded their #13 overall pick in the 1989 Draft to the Cleveland Browns for the #20 overall, second, fifth, and ninth-round picks in the 1989 Draft.
- i On July 7, 1989, the Broncos selected Bobby Humphrey in the 1989 Supplemental Draft; as a result, they forfeited their rights to a first-round pick in 1990 Draft.
- j The Broncos traded their #14 overall pick and a third-round pick in the 1993 Draft to the Cleveland Browns for the #11 overall pick.
- k On August 23, 1993, the Broncos traded their #18 overall pick and sixth-round pick in the 1994 draft and a second-round pick in the 1995 draft to the Minnesota Vikings for offensive tackle Gary Zimmerman.
- l On April 24, 1994, the Broncos traded a third-round selection in the 1994 Draft and a first-round pick in the 1995 Draft to the Atlanta Falcons for wide receiver Mike Pritchard and a seventh round pick in the 1995 Draft.
- m On April 12, 2000, the Broncos traded their #10 overall pick in the 2000 Draft to the Baltimore Ravens for the #15 overall pick and a second-round pick in the 2000 Draft.
- n On April 9, 2004, the Broncos traded #24 overall pick in the 2004 Draft along with cornerback Deltha O'Neal and a fourth-round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for the #17 overall pick.
- o On April 19, 2005, the Broncos traded their #25 overall pick in the 2005 Draft to the Washington Redskins for a third-round pick in the 2005 Draft, #22 overall and fourth-round picks in the 2006 Draft.
- p On March 21, 2006, the Broncos traded their #29 overall pick along with a third-round pick in the 2006 Draft and fourth-round pick in the 2007 Draft to the Atlanta Falcons for the #15 overall pick.
On April 19, 2006, the Broncos traded their #22 overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for second and third-round picks.
On April 29, 2006, the Broncos traded their #15 overall pick to the St. Louis Rams for the #11 overall pick and a third-round pick in the 2006 Draft.
- q On April 28, 2007, the Broncos traded their #21 overall pick along with a third and sixth-round picks to the Jacksonville Jaguars for the #17 overall pick.
- r On April 2, 2009, the Broncos traded quarterback Jay Cutler and a fifth-round pick in the 2009 Draft to the Chicago Bears for the #18 overall pick in the 2009 Draft along with a third-round pick in the 2009 Draft and a first-round pick in the 2010 Draft.
- s On April 22, 2010, the Patriots traded this selection to the Broncos for a first-round selection (24th overall; traded to Dallas, who selected Dez Bryant) and a fourth-round selection it acquired from San Francisco (113th overall; New England selected Aaron Hernandez).
- t On April 22, 2010, the Ravens traded this selection to the Broncos for a second-round selection it acquired from Miami (43rd overall; Baltimore selected Sergio Kindle), a third-round selection it acquired from Philadelphia (70th overall; Baltimore selected Ed Dickson), and a fourth-round selection (114th overall; Baltimore selected Dennis Pitta).
- "NFL Draft History: First Round by Team: Denver Broncos". National Football League. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- "Denver Broncos: 2010 Media Guide" (PDF). Denver Broncos. p. 591 (308 of 350). Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- Rasizer, Lee (2008-12-16). "Broncos Marshall, Cutler named to Pro Bowl team". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- "NFL History by Decade - 1951-1960". National Football League. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- Lahman, Sean (2008). The Pro Football Historical Abstract: A Hardcore Fan's Guide to All-Time Player Rankings. Globe Pequot. p. 34 of 576. ISBN 1-59228-940-1.
- Branch, John (2000-04-09). "The 2000 Liars Club/ Draft makes Broncos coach cloak intentions". The Gazette. findarticles.com. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- Pittman, Andrew; John Otto Spengler; Sarah J. Young (2008). Case studies in sport law. Human Kinetics. p. 41. ISBN 978-0-7360-6821-5.
- Pennington, Richard (2007). Denver Broncos Trivia Teasers. Big Earth Publishing. p. 7 of 145. ISBN 978-1-931599-92-4. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- "Hall of Famers by Year of Enshrinement". Pro Football Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "Russell, Croel get rookie honors". The Free Lance–Star. Associated Press. 1991-12-27. p. B6. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "Denver Broncos: Randy Gradishar". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Broncos; 2008 Media Guide" (PDF). Denver Broncos. p. 624 (321 of 362). Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- Football Register. Sporting News. 1969. p. 229. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- Lea, Bud (1971-09-22). "Devine Defends Horn Trade". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "Jets Trade Matt Robinson to Broncos; Provide Leadership Duel in Training Camp Jets Trade Robinson to Broncos". The New York Times. 1980-02-02. p. 15. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Stein, Joe (1994-04-24). "Rams took Bettis after Cards selected Hearst". The San Diego Union-Tribune. p. C12.
- "Notable blockbuster trades in NFL history". USA Today. 2008-08-07. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Balzer, Howard M. (1988). Football Register. Sporting News. p. 206. ISBN 978-0-89204-286-9. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "NFL Draft Trades". USA Today. 1989-04-25. p. C11.
- Barnard, Bill (1989-07-08). "Cowboys make Walsh surprise pick". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. p. 11 (6 of 23). Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- Ruxin, Robert. An athlete's guide to agents. Jones and Bartlett Publishers. p. 165. ISBN 978-0-7637-2349-1. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Broncos; 2008 Media Guide" (PDF). Denver Broncos. p. 623 (320 of 362). Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "The Broncos Acquire Vikings' Zimmerman". Los Angeles Times. 1993-08-24. p. C7.
- "Broncos deal for receiver Atlanta's Pritchard goes to Denver in trade involving draft picks.". The Kansas City Star. Associated Press. p. C2.
- "Ravens, Broncos swap picks". TimesDaily. 2000-04-13. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- Pasquarelli, Len (2004-04-09). "Broncos, Bengals swap draft positions". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- LaCanfora, Jason (2005-04-20). "Redskins Swap Draft Picks". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Pasquarelli, Len (2006-03-23). "Falcons send pick to Denver to get Abraham from Jets". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Broncos deal 22nd overall pick to 49ers". ESPN.com. 2006-04-20. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Rams take Clemson CB Hill with 15th pick". ESPN.com. 2006-04-29. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- Legwold, Jeff (2007-04-28). "Broncos trade up for Florida DE Moss". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "Cutler goes to Bears for Orton, picks". ESPN.com. 2009-04-03. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Draft trade tracker: Let's make a deal: Broncos make push to get receiver". NFL.com. National Football League. April 22, 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "Draft trade tracker: Let's make a deal: Broncos take a chance on Tebow". NFL.com. National Football League. April 22, 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-01.