List of Christian democratic parties
|Part of a series on|
Christian democratic parties are those political parties that seek to apply Christian principles to public policy. The underlying Christian democracy movement emerged in 19th-century Europe, largely under the influence of Catholic social teaching, and it continues to be influential in Europe and Latin America, though in a number of countries its Christian ethos has been diluted by secularisation. In practice, Christian democracy often advocates centre-right positions on cultural, social, and moral issues and Social market economic policies. In Europe, where their opponents have traditionally been secularist socialists, Christian democratic parties are moderately conservative overall, whereas in the very different cultural and political environment of Latin America they tend to lean to the left. It is the dominant political movement in Europe.
Alphabetical list by country
- Christian Democratic and Flemish
- Humanist Democratic Centre
- Christian Social Party
- Citizens' Movement for Change
- Social Christian Party
- Christian Social Democratic Party
- Union Christian Democracy of Brazil Party
- Christian Labour Party
- Brazilian Republican Party
- National Ecologic Party
- Union of Democratic Forces
- Christ Democratic Party of Bulgaria
- União Caboverdeana Independente e Democratica (Cape Verdean Union for an Independent Democracy) - UCID
- Christian Democratic Movement
- Party of the Hungarian Community
- Slovak Democratic and Christian Union – Democratic Party
- Christian Democratic People's Party
- Christian Social Party
- Evangelical People's Party
- Federal Democratic Union
- Conservative Party
- Christian Democratic Party (UK)
- The Common Good (political party)
- Christian Party (UK)
- Christian Peoples Alliance
- Global - Centrist Democrat International – headquartered in Brussels
- European Union - European People's Party – Centrist Democratic regional in Europe; and the largest group in European Parliament
- Americas - Christian Democrat Organization of America – Centrist Democratic regional in the Americas, North and South
Other Christianity-related parties
- Catholic social teaching
- Social conservatism
- Social market economy
- Political catholicism
- Christian politics
- "Christian Democratic Party". Register of political parties. Electoral Commission. Retrieved 8 February 2010.
- "Rocket man's trying to save European poll". Sunday Mercury. Birmingham. 6 June 2004. Retrieved 8 February 2010.
- "ELECTION 2005 COUNTDOWN TO MAY 5: COMMON MAN'S ON THE MOVE; Motorbiking vicar's MP dream". Birmingham Evening Mail. 23 April 2005. Retrieved 8 February 2010.
- "Why a Christian Party?".
- Freston, Protestant Political Parties, 53.
- "American Solidarity Party". Retrieved 6 May 2016.