|IATA: LEJ – ICAO: EDDP|
|Owner||Mitteldeutsche Airport Holding AG|
|Operator||Flughafen Leipzig/Halle GmbH|
|Serves||Leipzig and Halle|
|Elevation AMSL||470 ft / 143 m|
|Coordinates||51°25′26″N 012°14′11″E / 51.42389°N 12.23639°E|
Location of Airport in Saxony
It is Germany's 13th largest airport by passengers and handled more than 2.3 million passengers in 2015 mainly with flights to European leisure destinations. In terms of cargo traffic, the airport is the fifth-busiest in Europe and the second-busiest in Germany after Frankfurt Airport, having handled 863,665 metric tonnes of cargo in 2015. The airport serves as the main European hub for DHL Aviation and the main hub for AeroLogic. Also military installations have been built at the airport for NATO and EU military aircraft.
The airport was built new from scratch at a location between Halle and Leipzig from 1926 and opened in 1927.
On 18 March 1986 a Concorde operated by Air France landed at Leipzig/Halle Airport for the first time due to the internationally known Leipzig trade fair. Two days later British Airways also sent a Concorde to Leipzig/Halle. Both airlines continued flying to the airport with the Concorde from Paris and London when a trade fair was held in Leipzig in the following years.
Despite its name, the airport ground property tax goes to the county of Delitzsch. A deal between the city of Leipzig and Delitzsch led to an exchange of area. In 2007, Leipzig received land outside the airport while ownership of the airport land was transferred to Delitzsch. The District of Delitzsch now owns and claim taxes from the grounds and commercial interest from the airport.
DHL Aviation moved its European hub from Brussels Airport to Leipzig/Halle in early 2008 and thereby increased cargo traffic. The airport also was modernized with the 2012 Olympic Games hosting bid for Leipzig in mind but the city lost out to London.
In spring 2013, Ryanair announced to start operations to Leipzig/Halle on six routes. However, one year later all of them except the flights to London-Stansted were terminated again. In February 2015, Etihad Regional announced the immediate termination of their entire Leipzig/Halle operations which commenced only two years earlier due to changes to their operational concept. All three routes are shut down while two newly announced ones won't start.
As of March 2015, the largest passenger airlines at Leipzig/Halle Airport measured by weekly departures are Condor with 38 outgoing flights a week followed by Air Berlin, which operates 29 departures per week.
In September 2016, Pakistan International Airlines announced plans to replace Manchester on their Islamabad - Manchester - New York City route with Leipzig/Halle from somewhere in 2017 due to lower operational costs and time saving measures. As the airline holds Fifth Freedom rights, this would be Leipzig/Halle's first passenger service to the United States.
In October 2016, DHL inaugurated a major expansion to its freight facilities at the airport. The two new cargo terminals increase the handling capacity by 50 percent.
The modern airport terminal structure extends over the adjacent motorway and railway. It features an integrated car park as well as the check-in-facilities and is connected to a pier equipped with six Jet bridges as well as several apron stands.
Leipzig/Halle Airport features two runways. The terminal access is south of the railway while the runway 08L/26R parallels the driveway north of the railway, requiring aircraft to taxi on a bridge over the tracks and roads.
Airlines and destinations
Some US airlines fly to Leipzig/Halle on behalf of the US Department of Defense, to bring US Army troops to Afghanistan and Iraq. Leipzig/Halle is used as technical stop for refueling on these flights. They do not appear at any official timetable. Soldiers flown via Leipzig/Halle are listed as transit passengers in its traffic statistics. Miami Air International airlines and others operate military charter flights via Leipzig/Halle.
|Passengers||Movements||Freight (in t)|
|Source: Leipzig/Halle Airport Traffic statistics|
Leipzig/Halle Airport railway station is located directly beneath the passenger terminal and has both Intercity and Intercity-Express connections to cities like Frankfurt, Erfurt, Magdeburg, Hanover, Cologne and Dresden. Two lines of the suburban S-Bahn Mitteldeutschland connect directly to Leipzig and Halle, furthermore to Altenburg and Zwickau. Transit connection of the network reach most of parts of Central Germany.
The airport is connected to two motorways: the A14 connecting to Dresden (130 km), Halle (Saale, 20 km) and Magdeburg (130 km), and the A9 connecting to Munich (430 km), Nuremberg (280 km), and Berlin (180 km).
Berlin Linien Bus provides intercity bus services to Leipzig/Halle Airport as a part of its Eisenach-Berlin route. There are four daily stops from and three towards Berlin at LEJ. Flixbus connects in both ways twice per day to Dresden, Göttingen, Kassel and once per day to Dortmund and Cologne.
In popular culture
The airport's facilities have been featured in major films during recent years:
- In December 2004, Leipzig/Halle Airport was a filming location for Flightplan starring Jodie Foster and Peter Sarsgaard. According to the film, Jodie Foster's flight departs from Berlin but all shots showing Berlin's supposed airport were actually taken at Leipzig/Halle Airport.
- In 2010, the check-in area of Leipzig/Halle was a filming location for Unknown Identity starring Liam Neeson and Diane Kruger.
- The airport's terminal and apron have been featured heavily as the location of a major confrontation in the 2016 film, Captain America: Civil War. Branded equipment featuring the airport's logo was shown several times during the scenes.
- Annual Traffic Report 2012
- "www.german-foreign-policy.com". Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Ryanair streicht fast alle Flugziele ab Leipzig/Halle". Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Etihad Regional zieht sich komplett aus Deutschland zurück". airliners.de. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Sommerflugplan 2015: Das ist neu am Flughafen Leipzig/Halle". airliners.de. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- aero.de - "Pakistan International Airlines connects Leipzig and New York" (German) 10 September 2016
- aero.de - "DHL opens new terminals at Leipzig/Halle Airport" (German) 12 October 2016
- "Flughafen Leipzig/Halle - Passengers and visitors > Flights > Destinations and timetables > Destinations and timetables". Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "2013 summer schedule". Aero Logic. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Leipzig/Halle Airport Traffic statistics".
- RP ONLINE. "'Flightplan'-Arbeit am Flughafen: Jodie Foster dreht in Leipzig". RP ONLINE. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- LVZ-Online. "Hollywood fliegt erneut auf Leipzig". Retrieved 4 June 2015.
Media related to Leipzig/Halle Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Current weather for EDDP at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for LEJ at Aviation Safety Network