|Part of the Politics series on|
The terms left anarchism and left-wing anarchism distinguish collectivist anarchism from laissez-faire anarchism and right-libertarian philosophies. They refer to philosophies which posit a future society in which private property is replaced by reciprocity and non-hierarchical society. The term left anarchism is sometimes used synonymously with libertarian socialism, left-libertarianism, or socialist anarchism. More traditional anarchists typically discourage the concept of "left-wing" theories of anarchism on grounds of redundancy, that it lends legitimacy to the notion that anarchism is compatible with capitalism or nationalism.
Ulrike Heider, a syndicalist, categorized anarchism into left anarchism, right anarchism (anarcho-capitalism), and green anarchism. Her work has been strongly criticised by anarchist academics including Bryan Caplan and Murray Bookchin for what they see as the poor quality of its research and presentation.
- Social anarchism
- Collectivist anarchism
- Post-left anarchy
- Paul, Ellen Frankel. Miller, Fred Dycus. Paul, Jeffrey. 1993. (no title listed) Cambridge University Press. p. 115
- Chomsky, Noam. 2003. Chomsky on Democracy & Education. Routledge. p. 398
Chomsky, Noam. Language and Politics. AK Press. p. 153
- Peacock, Adrian. 1999. Two Hundred Pharaohs, Five Billion Slaves. Ellipsis London
- Goodwin, Barbara. 2007. Using Political Ideas. John Wiley & Sons
- Brooks, Thom. (2002) Book Reviews. Journal of Applied Philosophy 19 (1) , 75–90 doi:10.1111/1468-5930.00206
- Thagard, Paul. 2002. Coherence in Thought and Action. MIT Press. p. 153
- McKay, Iain (2007). "Section F.7.3 - Can there be a 'right-wing' anarchism?". An Anarchist FAQ, Volume I. AK Press. ISBN 978-1-902593-90-6.
- Iain McKay; et al. (21 January 2010). "Section F.7.3 - Can there be a 'right-wing' anarchism?". An Anarchist FAQ. Infoshop.org. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- McKay, Iain (2007). "Section D.6 - Are anarchists against Nationalism?". An Anarchist FAQ, Volume I. AK Press. ISBN 978-1-902593-90-6.
- Iain McKay; et al. (21 January 2010). "Section D.6 - Are anarchists against Nationalism?". An Anarchist FAQ. Infoshop.org. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- Heider, Ulrike. Anarchism: Left, Right and Green San Francisco: City Lights Books, 1994.
- Caplan, Bryan. "Factual Errors in Marshall and Heider". Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Bookchin, Murray (Winter 1994). "A Meditation on Anarchist Ethics". The Raven: Anarchist Quarterly. 7 (4): 328–46. Retrieved 2008-03-08.