Leeds University Business School
School of Business and Economic Studies - 1997|
Faculty of Business - 2003.
|Postgraduates||1300 Masters students and over 100 Postgraduate Researchers|
Coordinates: 53°48′29″N 1°33′11″W / 53.808°N 1.553°W
|Affiliations||University of Leeds|
Leeds University Business School, is a full service business school, a faculty of the University of Leeds and a member of the Russell group of research-intensive universities, located in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England.
Leeds University Business School is housed in the impressively renovated 19th-century Maurice Keyworth building, which previously belonged to the Leeds Grammar School. It is situated on the Western Campus of the University of Leeds, located 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Leeds city centre. It is within walking distance of both the city centre and Headingley, where many students live.
The Western Campus at the University of Leeds also includes the Leeds Innovation Centre; costing £9.3m. The building is an award-winning three-storey building of 4350 m2 (gross capacity), with the third floor accommodating the Innovation Hub. In 2009, to coincide with their 125th anniversary, the site also saw the construction of the Marks & Spencer company archive. Marks & Spencer moved over 60,000 artefacts and pieces from London to Leeds, the birthplace of the company. Further buildings include the Liberty Building, home to the Faculty of Law, Charles Thackrah building and Western Lecture Theatre.
Profile and reputation
Leeds University Business School delivers an academic education at undergraduate, masters, MBA, PhD and executive education levels, to students from more than 80 countries.
The Business School is 'triple accredited' by AACSB, AMBA, and EQUIS placing it in the top 1% of business schools globally. Other major accreditations and accolades at School and programme level include British Psychological Society, Chartered Association of Business Schools, Chartered Institute of Marketing, Chartered Institute of Personnel Development, ESRC Institute of Export Chartered Banker Institute, The Business School is an Award Winner from the Small Business Charter, in recognition of kick-starting British Enterprise.
The Business School is a top ten UK business and management research institution according to the results of the Research Excellence Framework, 2014. Over 200 academic staff conduct research across the six divisions of Accounting and Finance, Economics, International Business, Management, Marketing and Work and Employment Relations
The Business School is regularly placed amongst the world's top 100 business schools in Financial Times and The Economist rankings, in recognition of excellence in teaching and research. Some highlights include:
- Full-time MBA among the world’s top 100 programmes, according to the Financial Times Global MBA 2016.
- International Business at Leeds University Business School has been rated first in the UK and second in the world, according to the Financial Times Masters in Management rankings 2016.
- Ranked 1st in the UK for Accounting and Finance programmes, 5th in the Russell Group for Business Studies programmes and 8th in the Russell Group for Economics programmes (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide League Table 2017)
- Ranked 1st in the UK for Accounting and Finance programmes, 3rd for Economics programmes and 6th for Business and Management programmes, (The Guardian University Guide 2017)
- Winner of three national Enterprise Awards
- Ranked 48th in the world for its Executive MBA, and the top school in the North of England, (The Economist Which MBA? Executive MBA rankings 2015)
- Leeds University Business School is ranked 56th in Europe (Financial Times European Business Schools rankings 2015)
- Ranked 36th in Europe (Which MBA? The Economist 2014)
Notable Business School alumni include:
- Peter Jackson, former Kingfisher plc CEO and Chairman
- Stephen Daintith, Chief Financial Officer of the Daily Mail and General Trust
- Phil White CBE, Non-Executive Director of Stagecoach and former Chairman of National Express
- Madeleine Lee, Director of Athenaeum Limited
- David Quarmby CBE, Chairman of the British Tourist Authority
- Martin Scicluna FCA, former Deloitte Chairman
- Jayant Krishna, CEO of the National Skill Development Corporation
- John R Hirst, former CEO of the Met Office
- Sarah Jones, Vice Chair of Sheffield Children's NHS Foundation Trust
- the late Subir Raha, former Chairman and Managing Director of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
- Peter Cross, Communications Director at John Lewis
- Emeritus Professor Sahas Bunditkul, former Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand
- Sir Peter Hendy CBE, Chairman of Network Rail
- Emily Cummins, Entrepreneur and Inventor
- José Ángel Gurría, Secretary General of the OECD
- Ralph Kugler, former President of Unilever. Ralph is also the current Chairman of the International Advisory Board at Leeds University Business School.
- Mohit Malhotra (CEO) Chief Executive Officer and Director for Dabur International.
Current notable academics
- "History of Leeds University Business School". Leeds University Business School. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "University of Leeds". University of Leeds. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Specialising in Mechanical and Electrical Services :: Building Services, Design Consultancy and Project Management". The Brentwood Group. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Facilities on the Western Campus at the University of Leeds". Leeds University Business School. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business". AACSB. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "The Association of MBAs is the advocate for the MBA". Mbaworld.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "EFMD". EFMD. 2010-12-09. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "British Psychological Society". BPS. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Chartered Association of Business Schools". CABS. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Chartered Institute of Marketing". CIM. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Chartered Institute of Personnel Development". CIPD. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Economic and Social Research Council". ESRC. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Institute of Export". IOE. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Chartered Banker Institute". CBI. 2016-10-06. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Small Business Charter". Small Business Charter. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Leeds University Business School Research and Innovation". Business.leeds.ac.uk. 2015-07-13. Retrieved 2015-07-13.
- "Accounting and Finance 1st for second year running in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017". Leeds University Business School. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "University guide 2017: University league table". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Awards at Leeds University Business School". LUBS. 2016-10-06. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Business school rankings from the Financial Times - European Business School Rankings 2015". Financial Times. Retrieved 2015-01-01.
- "Which MBA?". The Economist. 2015-02-01.
- "Alumni - Leeds University Business School". Business.leeds.ac.uk. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Mohit Malhotra". Forbes Middle East. 2015-07-14.
- "Academics at Leeds University Business School". Leeds University Business School. 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2015-07-14.