Le Cateau-Cambrésis by Auguste Herbin
|Coordinates: 50°06′15″N 3°32′40″E / 50.1042°N 3.5445°ECoordinates: 50°06′15″N 3°32′40″E / 50.1042°N 3.5445°E|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Serge Siméon|
|Area1||27.24 km2 (10.52 sq mi)|
|• Density||260/km2 (670/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||59136 / 59360|
84–157 m (276–515 ft) |
(avg. 96 m or 315 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
- The Peace of Cateau-Cambrésis, ending the Italian Wars, was agreed there on April 2–3, 1559.
- Until 1678, the city belonged to the Spanish Netherlands (now called Belgium). France conquered the city officially by the treaty of Nijmegen signed in 1678.
- On 28 March 1794, allied forces under the prince of Coburg, defeated French forces at Le Cateau.
- Le Cateau formed the right wing of the front of II Corps of the British Expeditionary Force at the Battle of Le Cateau on 26 August 1914, during its withdrawal from the Battle of Mons.
|The arms of Cateau-Cambrésis are blazoned :|
Azure, a 3-towered castle or.
- Henri Matisse, artist
- Marshal Mortier
- Pierre Nord
- Raymond Poïvet, one of the creators of the French science fiction comics Les Pionniers de l'Espérance
Pierre Mauroy was a high school student in Le Cateau, and later its representative at the general council for the Nord department.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Le Cateau-Cambrésis.|
- Webpage (in French)
- Webpage about Le Cateau-Cambrésis (in French)
- Tourist Office (in English)
- Beffroivision, local TV channel
- Photographs from the Highland Cemetery in Le Cateau-Cambrésis