Lance McCullers Jr.
|Lance McCullers Jr.|
|Houston Astros – No. 43|
Born: October 2, 1993|
|May 18, 2015, for the Houston Astros|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||3.22|
The Houston Astros selected McCullers in the first round, with the 41st overall selection, of the 2012 MLB Draft. He signed with the Astros, receiving a $2.5 million signing bonus. McCullers pitched for the Quad Cities River Bandits of the Class A Midwest League for the 2013 season when the River Bandits won the Midwest League championship.
For the 2014 season, McCullers was promoted to the Lancaster JetHawks of the Class A-Advanced California League. On April 29, 2014, McCullers and Kyle Smith combined to tie a Lancaster franchise record with 17 strikeouts against the High Desert Mavericks. The JetHawks went on to become the 2014 California League Champions after beating the Northern Division Champion Visalia Rawhide.
McCullers began the 2015 season with the Corpus Christi Hooks of the Class AA Texas League. The Astros promoted him to the Fresno Grizzlies of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League on May 14, and then announced he would make his major league debut on May 18. He allowed one run, three walks and three hits while striking out five batters in 4 2/3 innings. He took a no-decision in the Astros' 2-1 loss to the Oakland Athletics." He threw his first career complete game against the Baltimore Orioles on June 3, 2015.
- Konecky, Chad. "McCullers named National Baseball POY". Espn.go.com. Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- "Heralded pitching prospect Lance McCullers to make Astros' debut Monday". Ultimate Astros. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "McCullers: Debut achieved 'lifelong dream'". Houston Astros. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "McCullers has big arm, big league bloodline". Mlb.mlb.com. May 26, 2012. Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Lance McCullers Jr. on Twitter