Lakepoint State Park
|Lakepoint State Park|
|Alabama State Park|
|Elevation||190 ft (58 m)|
|Coordinates||31°59′27″N 85°6′54″W / 31.99083°N 85.11500°WCoordinates: 31°59′27″N 85°6′54″W / 31.99083°N 85.11500°W|
|Area||1,220 acres (494 ha)|
|Management||Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources|
Location in Alabama
|Website: Lakepoint State Park|
Lakepoint State Park is a publicly owned recreation area located on the far north side of the city of Eufaula. The state park encompasses 1,220 acres (490 ha) on the western shore of Lake Eufala (Walter F. George Lake), a 45,000-acre (18,000 ha) impoundment of the Chattahoochee River. The park adjoins Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge and is managed by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.
An 18-hole golf course, which had been constructed in 1972, was closed at the end of November 2015 in response to the statewide parks budgeting crisis which saw the closing or curtailment of services at several Alabama state parks. In announcing the shutdown, state parks director Gregory M. Lein said an attempt had been made to find a concessionaire to take charge of golf course operations but that no takers had come forward.
Activities and amenities
Park facilities include a convention center, 101-room lodge, 192-campground sites, and a complex of lakeside cottages and fishermen's cabins. The grounds also include a marina, swimming pools, hiking trails, and picnicking areas.
- "Walter F George Reservoir". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Ress, Thomas V. (October 8, 2014). "Lakepoint Resort State Park". Encyclopedia of Alabama. Alabama Humanities Foundation. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- "Lakepoint State Park". Alabama State Parks. Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- Moseley, Brandon (December 26, 2015). "State to shut down Outdoor Alabama magazine". Alabama Political Reporter. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- Lakepoint State Park Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources