|Government-owned unlisted public|
|Industry||Sovereign wealth fund|
|Headquarters||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
Najib Tun Razak, Chairman|
Azman Mokhtar, Managing Director
|Total assets||RM150.2 billion|
Khazanah holds and manages selected commercial assets of the Government and undertakes strategic investments on behalf of the nation. It is involved in sectors such as power, telecommunications, finance, healthcare, aviation, infrastructure, leisure and tourism, and property, amongst others. The fund a member of the International Forum of Sovereign Wealth Funds and has therefore signed up to the Santiago Principles on best practice in managing sovereign wealth funds.
Khazanah was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1965 in Malaysia on 3 September 1993 as a public limited company and commenced operations a year later. Khazanah is owned by the Malaysian government and administered by the Minister of Finance Incorporated, except for one share held by the Federal Land Commissioner.
Khazanah is governed by a ten-member Board of Directors comprising representatives from the Government and the corporate sector with diverse professional backgrounds and expertis. Najib Razak, the current Prime Minister of Malaysia and Minister of Finance, is the Chairman of the Board.
In 2015, Khazanah's portfolio grew by nearly 3.2% to RM150.2 billion in terms of its realisable asset value (RAV), and declined by 1.6% to RM108.9 billion in terms of net worth adjusted (NWA). It also registered a proforma profit before tax (PBT) of RM1.2 billion. Khazanah also made 23 investments totalling RM8.7 billion and 10 divestments with a gain on divestment of RM2.9 billion for the year.
Khazanah was incorporated under the Companies Act 1965 on 3 September 1993 as a public limited company and commenced operations a year later. Except for one share owned by the Federal Land Commissioner, all the share capital of Khazanah is owned by the Minister of Finance Incorporated, a body incorporated pursuant to the Minister of Finance (Incorporation) Act 1957.
The New Mandate
In 2004, Khazanah went through a strategic revamp and was given its current mandate. Tan Sri Dato' Azman Hj Mokhtar, the current Managing Director of Khazanah, was appointed to the position in that year. He reports to a ten-member Board of Directors chaired by Malaysia's Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, Dato' Sri Mohd Najib Tun Hj Abdul Razak.
Khazanah’s vision is to be the leading strategic investment house that creates sustainable value for a globally competitive Malaysia. Its proactive investment approach includes the management of existing investments and the GLC Transformation Programme, and making strategic investments in new sectors and geographies that are deemed important to Malaysia’s future. It is also involved in the active development of human, social and knowledge capital for the country.
- Board of directors
Khazanah is governed by its Board of Directors. The board members consist of representatives from the Government as well as the corporate sector with diverse professional backgrounds and expertise.
The Board meets regularly and is ultimately accountable and responsible for Khazanah’s overall governance and performance. A Board Charter sets out the roles and responsibilities of the Board in overseeing the management of Khazanah.
The Board is assisted by two sub-committees – the Executive Committee (EXCO) and the Audit & Risk Committee (ARC). The four-member EXCO comprises three Non-Executive Directors and one Executive Director while the ARC consists of three independent Directors.
Chairman - Dato' Seri Mohd Najib Tun Abdul Razak, Prime Minister and Finance Minister of Malaysia
Deputy Chairman – Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Utama Nor Mohamed Yakcop, former Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department and Minister of Finance II, and Special Economic Adviser to the Prime Minister
- Board members
- Tan Sri Md Nor Md Yusof, Chairman of Malaysia Airlines and Pelaburan Hartanah
- Dato’ Mohammed Azlan Hashim, Chairman of SILK Holdings and D&O Green Technologies, and Non-executive Director of IHH Healthcare Berhad and Labuan Financial Services Authority
- Raja Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Arshad Raja Tun Uda, Chairman of Maxis, Ekuiti Nasional, Asia Capital Reinsurance Malaysia and Yayasan Raja Muda Selangor
- Tan Sri Mohamed Azman Yahya, Founder and CEO of Symphony House, Executive Chairman of Symphony Life, and board member of Ekuiti Nasional
- Tan Sri Andrew Sheng Len Tao, Chief Adviser to the China Banking Regulatory Commission and distinguished fellow of Fung Global Institute
- Dato’ Sri Nazir Razak, Chairman of CIMB Group, board member of the Investment Panel and Chairman of the Investment Panel Risk Committee of the Employees Provident Fund
- Datuk Johari Abdul Ghani, Second Finance Minister of Malaysia
- Tan Sri Dr. Irwan Serigar Abdullah, Secretary General of Treasury, Ministry of Finance
- Management Team
- Managing Director - Tan Sri Dato' Azman Hj. Mokhtar
- Executive Director, Investments & Head of Investments – Dominic Silva
- Executive Director, Khazanah Nasional Consulting (Beijing) Co Ltd – Ben Chan
- Executive Director, Investments – Dato’ Noorazman Abd Aziz
- Executive Director, Investments & Head of Khazanah Research & Investment Strategy – Datuk Hisham Hamdan
- Executive Director, Investments – Tengku Dato’ Sri Azmil Zahruddin Raja Abdul Aziz
- Executive Director, Investments – Kenneth Shen
- Executive Director, Investments – Zaida Khalida Shaari
- Executive Director, Investments – Ahmad Farouk Mohammed
- Executive Director, Khazanah Europe Investment Ltd - Javier Santiso
- Executive Director, Khazanah India Advisors Pte Ltd - Chinta Bhagat
- Executive Director, Finance & Chief Financial Officer – Dato' Mohd Izani Ghani
- Executive Director, MD’s Office and Head of MD’s Office – Jiv Sammanthan
- Executive Director, MD’s Office & Head of Special Projects Office – Mohd Izani Ashari
- Executive Director, MD’s Office & MD of Khazanah Research Institute – Dato’ Charon Mokhzani
- Executive Director, Investments & Head of Strategic Management Unit, MD’s Office – Ahmad Zulqarnain Onn
- Director, MD’s Office & Chief Risk Officer – Rohayati Othman
- Executive Director, Corporate & Support Services, Company Secretary & Head, Legal – Dato' Mohamed Nasri Sallehuddin
- Executive Director, Strategic Human Capital Management & Head of Strategic Human Capital Management – Latifah Daud
Khazanah is guided by a governance and accountability framework that establishes a clear structure of responsibility, authority and governance in how we operate. This is strengthened by internal systems and controls in the form of policies, procedures and guidelines on matters ranging from risk management and investment approvals to corporate values and ethical standards.
Khazanah makes disclosures of its performance and operations, including information required by law and the relevant authorities or voluntary dissemination of information to our stakeholders, including the public, across various platforms and forums.
Khazanah accounts are audited by an independent external auditor as well as the Auditor-General’s Office, and the audited financial statements are submitted to the Companies Commission of Malaysia. Key information is also shared with the Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
Public key information is also available on Khazanah’s official website and annual publications, including The Khazanah Report.
Khazanah's investee companies are involved in various sectors such as:
- Malaysian Agrifood Corp (MAFC) (100%)
- Blue Archipelago (100%)
- Biotropics (100%)
- Holstein Milk (30%)
- Malaysia Airports Berhad (MAHB) (36.7%)
- Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen (100% owned by MAHB)
- Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB) (100%)
- Penerbangan Malaysia Berhad (100%)
Creative & media
- ASTRO Holdings Sdn. Bhd. (29.3%)
- ASTRO Malaysia Holdings (20.7%)
- Iskandar Malaysia Studios (99.4%)
- Imagica Southeast Asia (51%)
- Rhizophora Ventures (100%)
- CIMB Group (29.7%)
- IDFC (9.5%)
- Avicennia Capital (100%)
- Sun Life Malaysia Assurance (49% owned by Avicennia Capital)
- Sun Life Malaysia Takaful (49% owned by Avicennia Capital)
- Acibadem Sigorta (90% owned by Avicennia Capital)
- ACR Capital (24.5%)
- ACR Malaysia (30% owned by ACR Capital, 70% by Khazanah)
- ACR ReTakaful (20% owned by ACR Capital, 40% by Khazanah)
- Jadwa Investment (10%)
- Bank Muamalat (30%)
- ValueCap (33.3%)
- Fajr Capital (21%)
- BDO Unibank (3.7%)
- China Huarong Asset Management (3%)
- CITIC Securities (0.9%)
- IHH Healthcare Berhad (44.7%)
Infrastructure & construction
- UEM Group (100%)
- PLUS Malaysia (51% owned by UEM Group)
- UEM Builders (100% owned by UEM Group)
- Cement Industries of Malaysia Berhad (CIMA) (100% owned by UEM Group)
- UEM Edgenta (formerly known as Faber Group) (70.7% owned by UEM Group)
Innovation & technology
- SilTerra Malaysia (100%)
- Atlantic Quantum (100%)
- Alibaba (0.2%)
- Aemulus (15%)
- General Fusion (8.6%)
- Skyscanner (3.4%)
- Yepme (14.6%)
- Continuum Capital (100%)
- Xeraya Capital (100%)
- Malaysian Technology Development Corp (MTDC) (100%)
Leisure & tourism
- Themed Attractions (100%)
- Tenaga Nasional (30.4%)
- Shuaibah Water & Electricity Company (6% owned by Tenaga Nasional, 12% by Khazanah)
- UEM Sunrise (66.1% owned by UEM Group)
- Iskandar Investment Berhad (60%)
- Iskandar Ventures (100%)
- Medini Iskandar Malaysia (40% owned by Iskandar Ventures, 20% owned by Iskandar Investment Berhad)
- M+S Pte Ltd (60%)
- Sunway Iskandar (48.6%)
- Pulau Indah Ventures (50%)
- Southern Marina (30%)
- Putrajaya Holdings (15.6%)
- STLR (100%)
- 8990 Holdings (8.6%)
- Cenviro (100%)
- Cenergi Southeast Asia (100%)
- RedT Energy (15.5%)
- Beijing Development Hong Kong (23.1%)
- Beijing Enterprises Water Group (4.6%)
- Axiata (38.2%)
- Telekom Malaysia Berhad (28.7%)
- Pulau Kapas Ventures (30%)
- TIME dotCom (31.4% owned by Pulau Kapas Ventures, 11.3% by Khazanah)
- John Keells (10.4%)
- LeapEd (100%)
- i2M Ventures (100%)
- Zivame (1.4%)
Portfolio segmentation by major sectors (as at 31 December 2015)
- Healthcare (17.2%)
- Financial Services (13.7%)
- Property (10.6%)
- Power (15.3%)
- Transportation & Logistics (4.9%)
- Infrastructure & Construction (3.8%)
- Creative & Media (22%)
- Innovation & Technology (2.3%)
- Leisure & Tourism (2.0%)
- Others (2.5%)
- Sustainable Development (1.3%)
- Consumer (0.7%)
- Life Sciences (0.4%)
- Agriculture (0.4%)
- Education (0.03%)
- Cash (2.5%)
RAV by geography (as at 31 December 2015)
- Malaysia (55.1%)
- Singapore (12.1%)
- Indonesia (5.7%)
- Turkey (7.4%)
- China (6.5%)
- India (4.1%)
- Philippines (1.1%)
- Others (1.5%)
- Japan (0.2%)
- Cambodia (0.4%)
- Middle East (0.8%)
- North America (1.3%)
- Sri Lanka (1.5%)
- Africa (0.1%)
- Europe (0.3%)
- Thailand (0.5%)
- Bangladesh (1.4%)
- Khazanah Megatrends Forum (KMF)
Held annually preceding Khazanah’s strategy and business planning cycle, KMF brings together experts and thought leaders to discuss the main mega trends, as well as to address topical matters of interest. Invited guests were Malaysian corporate leaders, policy makers, think tanks and practitioners from the public and private sectors as well as civil society.
- Khazanah Global Lectures (KGL)
As part of the mandate for human capital development, KGL features global leaders and thinkers that have influenced the way people live, work and think; to share their thoughts, beliefs and ideas. With the theme “development”, each speaker share his/her own experience and ideas on international, economic, social and corporate development issues while taking into consideration Malaysia’s past, present and future direction. KGL is broadcast live to universities across the nation to ensure a wider reach among the younger generation and future leaders of Malaysia.
Khazanah’s corporate responsibility (CR) is led by Yayasan Hasanah (Hasanah), a foundation incorporated in December 2013 to carry out an enhanced and more strategic approach to sustainable value distribution. Hasanah supports efforts that empower communities, encourage social inclusivity, and improve local environments.
Its 5 core areas:
- Community development
- Arts, heritage and culture
- International Forum of Sovereign Wealth Funds. "IFSWF Our members". Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- The Khazanah Report 2015. 2016. pp. 30 & 37.
- The Khazanah Report 2015. Khazanah Nasional. 2016. pp. 14–15.
- "Datuk Johari Abdul Ghani appointed to Khazanah Board of Directors". 15 September 2016.
- "The Star KWAP chairman Irwan appointed to Khazanah board". 3 July 2015.
- "Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim Alam Shah Leads Recipients Of Pahang State Awards". 24 October 2016.
- "Yayasan Hasanah website". Yayasan Hasanah.
- Khazanah Nasional in English