"Kaufman's" redirects here. For the Pittsburgh-based chain, see Kaufmann's.
Kaufman-Straus Building
Location 427--437 S. 4th St., Louisville, Kentucky
Coordinates 38°15′7″N 85°45′26″W / 38.25194°N 85.75722°W / 38.25194; -85.75722Coordinates: 38°15′7″N 85°45′26″W / 38.25194°N 85.75722°W / 38.25194; -85.75722
Area 0.5 acres (0.20 ha)
Built 1902
Architect Maury,Mason
Architectural style Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
NRHP Reference # 78001357[1]
Added to NRHP February 14, 1978

Kaufman-Straus was a local department store that operated in Louisville, Kentucky, from 1879 to 1969. In 1879, local retail clerk Henry Kaufman opened the first store on Jefferson between 7th and 8th. Four years later, Benjamin Straus entered into partnership with Kaufman. In 1887, the Kaufman-Straus store moved to South 4th Street in space leased from the Polytechnic Society of Kentucky. The new flagship store opened in 1903, at 533-49 South 4th Street, designed by local architect Mason Maury. In 1924, Kaufman-Straus was acquired by City Stores Company and the following year the flagship store underwent extensive renovations. City Stores rebranded the company as Kaufman's in 1960. It operated two stores in suburban Louisville at The Mall and Dixie Manor. In 1969, Kaufman's was acquired by L. S. Ayres, and the downtown Louisville store was subsequently closed in 1971. The flagship store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.


  1. National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 11/27/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.