Potassium voltage-gated channel subfamily S member 3 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the KCNS3 gene.
Voltage-gated potassium channels form the largest and most diversified class of ion channels and are present in both excitable and nonexcitable cells. Their main functions are associated with the regulation of the resting membrane potential and the control of the shape and frequency of action potentials. The alpha subunits are of 2 types: those that are functional by themselves and those that are electrically silent but capable of modulating the activity of specific functional alpha subunits. The protein encoded by this gene is not functional by itself but can form heteromultimers with member 1 and with member 2 (and possibly other members) of the Shab-related subfamily of potassium voltage-gated channel proteins. This gene belongs to the S subfamily of the potassium channel family.
- ↑ "Human PubMed Reference:".
- ↑ "Mouse PubMed Reference:".
- ↑ Shepard AR, Rae JL (September 1999). "Electrically silent potassium channel subunits from human lens epithelium". The American Journal of Physiology. 277 (3 Pt 1): C412–24. PMID 10484328.
- ↑ Gutman GA, Chandy KG, Grissmer S, Lazdunski M, McKinnon D, Pardo LA, Robertson GA, Rudy B, Sanguinetti MC, Stühmer W, Wang X (December 2005). "International Union of Pharmacology. LIII. Nomenclature and molecular relationships of voltage-gated potassium channels". Pharmacological Reviews. 57 (4): 473–508. doi:10.1124/pr.57.4.10. PMID 16382104.
- 1 2 "Entrez Gene: KCNS3 potassium voltage-gated channel, delayed-rectifier, subfamily S, member 3".
- Maruyama K, Sugano S (January 1994). "Oligo-capping: a simple method to replace the cap structure of eukaryotic mRNAs with oligoribonucleotides". Gene. 138 (1-2): 171–4. doi:10.1016/0378-1119(94)90802-8. PMID 8125298.
- Patel AJ, Lazdunski M, Honoré E (November 1997). "Kv2.1/Kv9.3, a novel ATP-dependent delayed-rectifier K+ channel in oxygen-sensitive pulmonary artery myocytes". The EMBO Journal. 16 (22): 6615–25. doi:10.1093/emboj/16.22.6615. PMC 1170266. PMID 9362476.
- Suzuki Y, Yoshitomo-Nakagawa K, Maruyama K, Suyama A, Sugano S (October 1997). "Construction and characterization of a full length-enriched and a 5'-end-enriched cDNA library". Gene. 200 (1-2): 149–56. doi:10.1016/S0378-1119(97)00411-3. PMID 9373149.
- Stocker M, Kerschensteiner D (July 1998). "Cloning and tissue distribution of two new potassium channel alpha-subunits from rat brain". Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 248 (3): 927–34. doi:10.1006/bbrc.1998.9072. PMID 9704029.
- Hao K, Niu T, Xu X, Fang Z, Xu X (April 2005). "Single-nucleotide polymorphisms of the KCNS3 gene are significantly associated with airway hyperresponsiveness". Human Genetics. 116 (5): 378–83. doi:10.1007/s00439-005-1256-5. PMID 15714333.
- Kerschensteiner D, Soto F, Stocker M (April 2005). "Fluorescence measurements reveal stoichiometry of K+ channels formed by modulatory and delayed rectifier alpha-subunits". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 102 (17): 6160–5. doi:10.1073/pnas.0500468102. PMC 1087924. PMID 15827117.
This article incorporates text from the United States National Library of Medicine, which is in the public domain.