Justice Party (South Korea)
Sim Sang-jung (standing)|
|Floor Leader||Roh Hoe-chan|
|Founded||21 October 2012|
People's Conference |
Labor Politics Coalition
Elements of the Labor Party
|Split from||Unified Progressive Party|
|Headquarters||7, Gukhoe-daero 70-gil, Yeongdeungpo District, Seoul|
|Slogan||Labor's Hope, Citizen's Dream (노동의 희망, 시민의 꿈, Nodongi himang, simini kkum)|
|Seats in the National Assembly||
6 / 300
0 / 226
|Seats within local government||
17 / 3,687
The party changed its name from "Progressive Justice Party" to "Justice Party" at the 2nd party congress on 16 July 2013. At the 4th party congress on 22 November 2015, the party officially merged with extra-parliamentary groups: People's Conference (국민모임) and Labor Politics Coalition (노동정치연대) and Progressive+ (진보더하기), which composed of members defected from the Labor Party, after motions to merge the party with the Justice Party failed.
After the merger, Na Gyung-che, leader of the Progressive+, and Kim Se-kyun, leader of People's Conference, were elevated to co-leadership role, while Sim Sang-jung remained as a standing party leader. Kim Se-kyun stepped down from the co-leadership in September 2016.
In the legislative election held in April 2016, the party increased their seat total by one, with the election of Roh Hoe-chan to the Seongsan constituency in the city of Changwon. The party polled 7.2% in the party list ballot, returning in total, six legislators to the National Assembly.
Leaders of the Justice Party
- Roh Hoe-chan, Jo Jun-ho (co-serving; 21 October 2012 – 21 July 2013)
- Cheon Ho-sun (21 July 2013 – 18 July 2015)
- Sim Sang-jung (18 July 2015 – 22 November 2015)
- Sim Sang-jung (standing), Na Gyung-che (co-serving; 22 November 2015 – present), Kim Se-kyun (co-serving; 22 November 2015 – 30 September 2016)
Leaders in the National Assembly
- Kang Dong-won (21 October 2012 – 2 May 2013)
- Sim Sang-jung (2 May 2013 – 9 June 2015)
- Jeong Jin-hoo (9 June 2015 – 3 May 2016)
- Roh Hoe-chan (3 May 2016 – present)
|Election||Total seats won||Total votes||Share of votes||Outcome of election||Election leader|
6 / 300
1,719,891 / 23,760,977
|7.2%||1 seat; Minority||Sim Sang-jung|
|Election||Metropolitan mayor/Governor||Provincial legislature||Municipal mayor||Municipal legislature||Election leader|
0 / 17
0 / 789
0 / 226
11 / 2,898
- "정의당 강령" [Justice Party platform]. Justice Party. 2013-06-23. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- 우리는 자유･평등･연대･생태･평화를 실천해 온 세계 진보 정당의 역사적 경험과, 복지국가를 이룩한 사회민주주의의 성과를 21세기 한국에 맞게 창조적으로 발전시켜 나갈 것이다.
- "Future of progressives: New Justice Party leader faces many challenges". The Korea Herald. 21 July 2015. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "제2차 당대회(혁신당대회) 회의자료 및 결과". Justice Party (in Korean).
- "진보 4개 정당·단체 통합 '정의당' 출범". Kyunghyang Shinmun (in Korean). 22 November 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2016.