For American-Lebanese basketball player, see Joe Vogel
Vogel writes about music, literature, film and popular culture. His critically acclaimed 2011 book, Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson, was described by the Associated Press as "a fascinating read and really a must have for any fan of Jackson." Filmmaker Spike Lee characterized it has having "brilliantly cracked the DNA, the code, the artistry of Michael Joseph Jackson." Vogel's work has been featured in The Atlantic, The Huffington Post, and PopMatters. In 2013, he was ranked #15 by Sonifly in a list of “Most Influential Music Journalists in Social Media.”
Vogel has published three other books, including The Obama Movement and Free Speech 101. He has appeared in several documentaries, including Spike Lee's Bad 25 (film) and This Divided State. Vogel is an instructor at the University of Rochester.
Vogel made national headlines in 2004 when, as Student Vice President of Academics at Utah Valley University, he invited film maker Michael Moore to speak on campus. The invitation incited an uproar amongst the predominantly conservative Utah County community. Vogel subsequently wrote a book about the experience entitled Free Speech 101; the book became a 2007 Independent Publisher Book Award Finalist. An award-winning documentary, This Divided State (in which Vogel appears), also recounts the story of Michael Moore's controversial visit to Utah Valley.
- Vogel, Joseph (2012). Featuring Michael Jackson: Collected Writings on the King of Pop. New York: Baldwin Books.
- Vogel, Joseph (2011). Earth Song - Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus. New York: BlakeVision Books.
- Vogel, Joseph (2011). Man in the Music - The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson. New York: Sterling Publishing.
- Vogel, Joseph (2007). The Obama Movement - Why Barack Obama Speaks to America's Youth. Lincoln, Nebraska: iUniverse, Inc.
- Vogel, Joseph (2006). Free Speech 101- The Utah Valley Uproar Over Michael Moore. Silverton, Idaho: Windriver Publishing.
- Householder, Mike. "MJ Book Thankfully Focuses on the Music". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Alhart, Valerie. "University of Rochester Scholar Explores Cultural Legacy of Michael Jackson". University of Rochester. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Joseph Vogel". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Joe Vogel". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Joe Vogel". PopMatters. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- Q., Ruben. "Top 20 Most Influential Music Journalists". Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Warner, Laura. "UVSC student officers not backing down". Deseret News. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- "Announcing 2007 Independent Publisher Book Awards Results". IP Feature. Independent Publisher. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- "This Divided State". Minority Films, LLC. 2005. Retrieved 2008-09-17.