|종로구 · 鐘路區|
Sejong-ro looking south, fair on the pedestrian stretch
Location of Jongno-gu in Seoul
|Coordinates: 37°35′58″N 126°58′29″E / 37.59944°N 126.97472°ECoordinates: 37°35′58″N 126°58′29″E / 37.59944°N 126.97472°E|
|• Mayor||Kim Yeong-Jong (김영종)|
|• Total||23.92 km2 (9.24 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,500/km2 (17,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Korea Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|Website||Jongno-gu official website|
Jongno District has been the center of the city for 600 years, since it is where the Joseon dynasty established its capital city. Jongno District is commonly referred to as the face and heart of Korea because of its important roles in the politics, economics, culture, and history as the capital city. Jongno District is home to palaces in which the kings used to reside and work, such as Gyeongbok Palace, Changdeok Palace, Changgyeong Palace and Unhyeon Palace. The South Korean president's current residence, the Cheongwadae, is also located in Jongno District.
With the historical value and cultural properties, Jongno District attracts visitors' attention. These include the restored Cheonggyecheon stream, the traditional neighborhood of Insa-dong, and the Jongmyo shrine. Art Center Nabi and Gahoe Museum, a relics museum is also located in the district. A number of colleges and universities are located here; these include the main campuses of Sungkyunkwan University and Baehwa Women's College.
The area is also home to the Gwanghwamun Plaza a public open space on Sejongno and is part of the Seoul Metropolitan Government's plans for environmentally friendly renovation projects such as the Cheonggye Stream and Seoul Plaza. It is also of historical significant as the location for royal administrative buildings and features statues of the Admiral Yi Sun-sin of Joseon Dynasty and King Sejong the Great of Joseon.
As the traditional heart of Seoul, Jongno is still an important business center. Notable companies based in Jongno include Kumho Asiana Group, Kyobo Life. Lotte Group, SK Group, Hyundai Engineering & Construction, Daewoo E&C, Daelim Group, East Asia Daily and many more.
The headquarters of South Korean skincare retailer The Face Shop is located in the LG Gwanghwamun Building on sinmunno 2-ga.
Government and infrastructure
The headquarters of the Ministry of Security and Public Administration is located in the Seoul Government Complex in Jongno District. The third and fourth floors of the same building house the Ministry of Unification.
The headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is located in the MOFA Building in Jongno District.
Previously the Ministry of Education had its headquarters in the Central Government Complex in Jongno District. The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism also had its headquarters in Jongno District. The Ministry of Health and Welfare had its headquarters in the Hyundai Building. The offices of those ministries have moved to Sejong City.
Those are some of the district administrative dongs (행정동). For a complete list, see here.
Joseon era landmarks
- Gyeongbok Palace
- Changgyeong Palace
- Changdeok Palace
- Gyeonghui Palace
- Unhyeon Palace
- Bosingak (pavilion)
- Gwanghwamun (gate)
- Heunginjimun (gate)
- Jongmyo (shrine)
- Seoul Sajikdan (shrine)
- Tapgol Park
- National Folk Museum of Korea
- National Palace Museum of Korea
- Seoul Education Museum
- SeMa GyeongHuiGung
- Seoul Museum of History
- Artsonje Center
- Art Center Nabi
- Bukchon Art Museum
- Gahoe Museum
- Ilmin Museum of Art
- Tteok& Kitchen Utensil Museum
Nature and parks
The current mayor of Jong-no district is Kim Yeong-jong. The district council serves administrative functions such as Foreign Seal Registration, International Marriage, Adoption, Acknowledgement reports and Alien Registration Certificates for foreigners residing in Jongno District.
Public schools: Seoul Global High School
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jongno-gu.|
- Korean Statistical Information Service (Korean) > Population and Household > Census Result (2010) > Population by Administrative district, Sex and Age / Alien by Administrative district and Sex, Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "About Jongno-gu". Jongno-gu Official website. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- "Popular plaza". Joongang Daily. 3 August 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Hoh, Kui-Seek (3 August 2009). "The road less travelled, by cars". Joongang Daily. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Gwanghwamun Plaza: Let's Try to Turn New Place Into National Symbol". Korea Times. 2 August 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Company location". The Face Shop official website. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- Home. Air Seoul. Retrieved on November 1, 2016. "Kumho Asiana Main Tower,76, SaemunanRo Jongro Gu Seoul" - Korean address: "(우)03185 서울특별시 종로구 새문안로 76 금호아시아나 본관"
- "Location." (Archive) Ministry of Security and Public Administration. Retrieved on January 1, 2013. "209 Sejong-daero(Sejong-ro), Jongno-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea"
- "Location & Contact Info." (Archive) Ministry of Unification. Retrieved on January 1, 2013. "Ministry of Unification Address: Government Complex - Seoul , 209 Sejong-daero(Sejong-ro). Jongno-gu, Republic of Korea"
- "Location." (Archive) Ministry of Foreign Affairs (South Korea). Retrieved on January 1, 2014. "Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 60, Sajik-ro 8-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Korea (110-787)"
- "Contact Info." (Archive) The Globe Program. Retrieved on January 1, 2013. "Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development Central Government Complex, 77-6 Sejong-no, Jongno-gu Seoul, 110-760 South Korea"
- "Location." (Archive) Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. April 23, 2012. Retrieved on January 1, 2014. "Address: 215 Changgyeonggung-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-360 Korea"
- "Location." (Archive) Ministry of Health and Welfare. Retrieved on January 1, 2014. "Ministry of Health & Welfare Hyundai Building 6~12 F" and "Ministry of Health & Welfare (MW) : 75 Yulgok-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Korea 110-793, call center 129"
- "Home (Archive.org)". Archived from the original on February 1, 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Contact." Lycée International Xavier. Retrieved on 22 May 2014. "23, BIBONG-GIL (151, GUGI-DONG), JONGNO-GU, 110-804 SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA" - Address in Korean: "서울특별시 종로구 비봉길 23 (구기동 151) (우)110-804"