Jonathan Villar with the Houston Astros
|Milwaukee Brewers – No. 5|
|Shortstop / Third baseman / Second baseman|
Born: May 2, 1991|
La Vega, Dominican Republic
|July 22, 2013, for the Houston Astros|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||109|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jonathan Rafael Villar Roque (born May 2, 1991) is a Dominican professional baseball shortstop for the Milwaukee Brewers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Houston Astros.
Houston Astros (2013-2015)
Villar was named the 94th best prospect in baseball by Baseball America prior to the 2011 season. He was invited to Astros' spring training in 2012. Villar played for the Oklahoma City RedHawks in 2013, and was named the Astros' minor league hitter of the month for June 2013.
On July 21, the Astros promoted Villar to the major leagues. On July 30, 2013, Villar stole home against the Baltimore Orioles. His strong finish to 2013 made him the team's Opening Day starter in 2014, but struggled offensively in 2014 as well as 2015. Nevertheless, he was named to the Astros' roster for the 2015 American League Wild Card Game. In the seventh inning, he pinch-ran for Chris Carter, stole second base, and scored on a single by José Altuve to make the score 3-0, which ended up being the final score of the game.
Milwaukee Brewers (2016-present)
Villar impressed Brewers manager Craig Counsell in Spring Training, and became the Brewers' Opening Day shortstop. Villar played very well for the first half of the season despite the team's struggles, posting a .298 batting average, 6 home runs and a league-leading 19 stolen bases before the All-Star Break. He finished the year with 62 stolen bases, leading the league, four more than Billy Hamilton of the Reds, along with a .285 average, 62 RBIs, and 19 Home Runs.
- "Roy Oswalt OKs Trade to Phillies". CBS News.
- "Ultimate Astros » Villar, Correa among Astros minor league honorees". Blog.chron.com. 2013-07-03. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- "Astros designate veterans Pena and Cedeno for assignment; Villar called up". Therepublic.com. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- "Villar steals home". MLB.com. 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- jonathan villar on Twitter