October 25, 1953|
Connecticut, United States
|Alma mater||Yale University|
Life and career
In the 1970s, he was an associate editor of Crawdaddy!, where he published his first works (outside school publications); and in the 1980s, an associate editor at Rolling Stone and the music editor at The Village Voice. He started contributing to The Times in 1982. He reviews popular music in the arts section of The Times.
- George-Warren, Holly; Romanowski, Patricia; Pareles, Jon (2001). The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll. New York City; Toronto: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-743-20120-9.
- "Pareles, Jon". Current Biography. H. W. Wilson Company. 69 (11): 75. November 2008. ISSN 0011-3344. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- Ask a report: Jon Pareles, Music Critic. The New York Times.
- Hay, Carla (March 20, 2004). "Meet the Critics". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 116 (12): 1, 88. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Ward, Steven (July 2001). "The Grey Lady's Pop Music Man: Jon Pareles in Conversation". rockcritics.com. Retrieved August 8, 2014.