Jon Harris (baseball)
|Toronto Blue Jays|
Born: October 16, 1993|
St. Louis, Missouri
Jonathan Richard Harris (born October 16, 1993) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Toronto Blue Jays organization. He played college baseball at Missouri State University, and was drafted by the Blue Jays in the first round of the 2015 Major League Baseball Draft. He is ranked 6th on Major League Baseball's Top 30 Blue Jays prospects list.
High school and college
Harris attended Hazelwood Central High School in St. Louis, Missouri. He was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 33rd round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft but did not sign and played college baseball at Missouri State University. As a freshman in 2013, Harris started 13 games going 8–2 with a 3.87 earned run average (ERA) and 61 strikeouts. As a sophomore, he appeared in 15 games with 11 starts. He went 3–5 with a 3.16 ERA, 66 strikeouts and two saves. As a junior he went 8–2 with a 2.45 ERA with 116 strikeouts in 15 starts.
Harris was considered one of the top prospects for the 2015 Major League Baseball Draft. The Toronto Blue Jays selected Harris in the first round, with the 29th overall selection, of the draft. He signed with Toronto on June 15, 2015. Harris played the entire 2015 season with the Short Season-A Vancouver Canadians, where he posted a 6.75 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 36 innings pitched. He was assigned to the Class-A Lansing Lugnuts to open the 2016 minor league season. Harris was named an Eastern Division All-Star for Lansing on June 7. He made 16 starts for Lansing, posting an 8–2 record, 2.23 ERA, and 73 strikeouts in 84 2⁄3 innings before being promoted to the Advanced-A Dunedin Blue Jays in mid July. Harris would make eight starts for Dunedin, and pitch to a 3–2 win–loss record, 3.60 ERA, and 26 strikeouts in 45 innings.
- "MLB 2016 Prospect Watch". MLB.com. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Latsch, Nate (August 6, 2011). "Hazelwood Central's Harris makes pledge to play ball at Missouri State". stltoday.com. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Schildroth, Keith (August 19, 2011). "Hazelwood Central Baseball Star Harris Commits to Missouri State". patch.com. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- "Jon Harris Bio". missouristatebears.com. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Scranton, Lyndal (April 18, 2015). "Bears' Harris tries to tune out draft speculation". news-leader.com. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Callis, Jim (May 5, 2015). "Draft prospect Harris has room to grow". MLB.com. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Kennedy, Brendan (June 8, 2015). "Blue Jays select pitcher Jon Harris with first pick in MLB draft". thestar.com. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- "Blue Jays sign first round pick Harris". MLB.com. June 15, 2015. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- "Jon Harris Minor Leagues Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- Rosenbaum, Mike (April 7, 2016). "Where the Blue Jays' Top 30 prospects are starting the season". MLB.com. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- Goldberg-Strassler, Jesse (June 7, 2016). "Lugnuts land five on All-Star Team". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Missouri State Bears bio