Johnny Cash (song)
|Single by Jason Aldean|
|from the album Relentless|
|Released||February 5, 2007|
|Jason Aldean singles chronology|
In 2007, the song was covered by American country music artist Jason Aldean and released as the lead-off single to his 2007 album Relentless. Released in early 2007 as Aldean's fourth single, it also became his fourth consecutive top ten hit on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts, where it peaked at number 6. The song was also featured in the soundtrack to the video game NASCAR 08.
"Johnny Cash" is an up-tempo song in which the narrator addresses his lover, inviting her to join him on a road trip to Las Vegas. The connection to singer Johnny Cash is made only in the chorus ("Blastin' out the Johnny Cash"), indicating that Cash's music will be played while the narrator and his lover are on their road trip.
Brody Vercher, reviewing the album for Engine 145, said that the song is "a good pick-me up song for those looking to get the blood flowing before a workout." Kevin John Coyne, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a C- rating. He said that "the song doesn’t even have a melody, with Aldean yelling through most of the record as if he’s straining to be heard over the loud production."
The music video takes place in places around Las Vegas, and features Jason Aldean and his band playing. The video was directed by Wes Edwards.
"Johnny Cash" debuted at number 44 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs for the week of February 17, 2007.
|US Billboard Hot 100||68|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||38|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Vercher, Brody (2007-05-29). "Jason Aldean - "Johnny Cash"". Engine 145. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- Coyne, Kevin John (2007-02-03). "Jason Aldean - "Johnny Cash"". Country Universe. Archived from the original on April 12, 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Jason Aldean – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Jason Aldean. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jason Aldean – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Jason Aldean. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Best of 2007: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2007. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Jason Aldean – Johnny Cash". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH