John Joicey

John Joicey, DL (3 November 1816 15 August 1881) was a British Liberal Party politician and wealthy coal owner.

He was the fourth son of George Joicey of Backworth, Northumberland and uncle of James Joicey, 1st Baron Joicey.

With his younger brother James Joicey, in 1831 he founded mining company James Joicey & Co Ltd (incorporated in 1886), which operated several collieries in the West Durham coalfield including pits at Beamish and Tanfield. In 1924, that company merged with Lambton & Hetton Collieries to form Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries.

He served as High Sheriff of Durham in 1878 and was elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for North Durham at the general election in April 1880, but died in office the following year, aged 64.[1]

He lived at Urpeth Lodge and then Newton Hall, Stocksfield, Northumberland. His daughter and heir married John Packenham Cecil, thereby creating the Joicey-Cecil family.


  1. Craig, F. W. S. (1989) [1977]. British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 383. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.

External links

Parliament of the United Kingdom
Preceded by
Charles Palmer and
Sir George Elliot
Member of Parliament for North Durham
1880 – 1881
With: Charles Palmer
Succeeded by
Charles Palmer and
Sir George Elliot

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 6/16/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.