industrial hub of odisha
Location in Odisha, India
|Coordinates: 21°51′N 84°02′E / 21.85°N 84.03°ECoordinates: 21°51′N 84°02′E / 21.85°N 84.03°E|
|• Total||223 km2 (86 sq mi)|
|Elevation||218 m (715 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||OD 23 (Previously OR 23)|
Jharsuguda (ଝାରସୁଗୁଡା)is the district headquarters of Jharsuguda district of Odisha, India. It is the administrative headquarters of Jharsuguda district. It is an industrial hub, consisting mainly of metallurgical industries. Jharsuguda is well connected to all major cities of India through the rail network. It is also the biggest junction in India. It is popularly known as the power house of Odisha due to a large number of thermal power plants located nearby.
Geography and climate
Jharsuguda is located at 21°51′N 84°02′E / 21.85°N 84.03°E. It has an average elevation of 218 metres (715 ft). Jharsuguda is located in Western Odisha. State highway 10 and National highway 200 pass through Jharsuguda. The Ib River flows along the Western side of Jharsuguda town and the river Bheden flows in the south. The area of the town is 70.47 km2, and has a population of 579,499.
The town situated at 21.82° north longitude and 84.1° latitude and at a height of 700–750 feet above mean sea level. The highest temperature recorded in summer is 48.0 °C and it has an average rain fall of 1527 mm.
|Climate data for Jharsuguda|
|Record high °C (°F)|| 32
|Average high °C (°F)|| 28
|Average low °C (°F)|| 12
|Record low °C (°F)|| 8
|Average precipitation mm (inches)|| 18.6
|Average rainy days (≥ 0.01)||1.4||1.5||1.5||2.0||3.3||9.7||16.1||16.8||11.2||3.6||0.8||0.5||68.4|
|Average relative humidity (%)||61||55||45||40||40||61||86||86||85||77||67||64||63.9|
|Source #1: Weatherbase|
|Source #2: IMD|
Jharsuguda is a cosmopolitan city housing people from all the regions of India. Major festivals celebrated in the town are:
- Nuakhai: This is an important festival for the people of Western Odisha. Families gather during this period and eat together. After that, the younger take the blessings of elders and dance with friends.
- Message-Always give the respect to the elders and take the blessing from him
- Bhai Jauntia: A festival observed by the women of this region where a sister prays for the betterment of her brother.
- Rath Yatra: Rath Yatra is celebrated in the town & villages of the district.
- Durga Puja: Durga Puja has been celebrated in public pandals in the town for more than half a century. Specially Durga pandel of Sarbahal Chowki para and Mangal Bazar and Puja by Sri Santimai Mukhrajee in Chowki Para is very devotional.
- Ganesh Puja: A 10-day public celebration of Ganesh Puja.
- Diwali and Chhat: It is celebrated with great pomp and show.
- Kirtan (Nama Yangya) (Brundamal,Sarbahal, Sahapada, Buromal and Chowki Para): People pray to Krishna and Ram. Villagers of Buromal have celebrated Chobeesh Prahara Nama Jagyan Since 1955(Samleswari Club Buromal),Beherapat have celebrated Asta Prahar Nama Yangya since 1966 and also started in Chowki Para on 2014 help of Ashok Gej, Narayan Sahu, Sharme Ji, Subash Sen etc.
Economy and infrastructure
This cosmopolitan town is fast emerging as the economic hub of Odisha; the state government has formed a master plan for the city's development. Jharsuguda has a unit of Ultratech Cement of the Aditya Birla Group at Dhutra, which is India's largest cement manufacturing company. Many small- and medium-scale steel units are being set up in the town vicinity, including Bhushan Power & Steel Limited (Thelkoloi village), SMC Power Generation Ltd., Action Ispat Ltd., Eastern Steel & Power Ltd., TRL Krosaki Refractories Limited and Concast Steel & Power Ltd. A few large-scale units of Vedanta Alumina Ltd and Utkal Alumina International Ltd will be setting up units in the area.
- UltraTech Cement Limited has set up a 4.0 MTPA capacity Cement grinding Unit, the Largest in Orissa.
- Sesa Sterlite Limited ( Formally known as Vedanta Aluminium Limited - VAL and Sterlite Energy Limited - SEL) has set up a 0.5 million-tonne aluminium smelter (in operation) and a 1.2 Million Tonne Smelter (undergoing startup). The 0.5 Million Tonne Smelter is supported by a 1200 MW (135*9 MW) Captive Power Plant (CPP). In addition to this, there is a 2400 MW (600*4 MW) Independent Power Plant (IPP) also at the same site. Vedanta has chalked out a massive 4.6 billion dollar expansion for the project.
- Reliance Energy has proposed to set up a 12,000 MW thermal power plant at a cost of Rs 48,000 crore (Rs 480 billion) at Hirma in the Jharsuguda district of Odisha.
- Orissa Power Generation Corporation (OPGC) established IB Thermal Power Station having two units of 210 MW each in the Ib valley area of Jharsuguda and is developing a 1,220 MW power plant at same place.
<In recent years Jharsuguda district has witnessed a large scale Industrialization.
Since pre-independence days, the city has had a relatively developed transportation network. The main modes of transport are auto rickshaws, rikshaws, Savaris, Vans and Buses as a means of local transport.
The Jharsuguda Airport is under expansion at Durlaga. It has an airstrip since the British times, which is currently upgrading to a full-fledged airport.
Jharsuguda is connected to various towns of the states by State Highway 10 and National Highway.
Colleges & Training Center
- Belpahar College, Belpahar.
- B. N. College, Brajrajnagar
- Laxminarayan College, Jharsuguda
- Mahima DEgree College,Jharsuguda
- PKSS College, Jharsuguda
- S. M. College, Jharsuguda
- S. S. College, Talpatia.
- Women's College, Jharsuguda
- DIET Industrial Training Centre
- NIIT IT Training Centre, Near Mundra Cloth Store(Jharsuguda)
- Black Diamond College of Engineering and Technology, Jharsuguda
- Black Diamond School of Engineering, Brajrajnagar
- Jharsuguda Engineering School, Jharsuguda
- Anand Prerna School, Puruna
- Aparna World School, Jharsuguda
- Assembly of God School
- Belpahar English Medium School, Belpahar
- Belpahar Refractories High School, Belpahar
- Blue Bells English Medium School,Saleitikira, Jharsuguda
- Blue Bell Primary School, Cox Colony
- Buromal U. P. School, Buromal
- Buromal M. E. School, Buromal
- Daniel Public School
- DAV Public School, IB Valley Area, Brajrajnagar
- DAV Public School, Sunarimunda
- DAV Public School, SOCP, Brajrajnagar
- Ekatali U. G. M. E. School
- Ghanshyam Hemlata Vidya Mandir, Baljori, Jharsuguda
- Government Girls High School
- Government High School, Arda
- Government High School, Banjari
- Government High School, Sarbahal
- Government High School, Sodamal
- Government High School, Jhirlapali
- Hanuman Vidyalay, Jhanda Chowk, Jharsuguda
- Jharianair U. P. School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya
- Manmohan M. E. School
- Municipal High School, Ekatali
- M. L. High School, Attabira
- Nazul Oriya U. P. School
- Oriya U.P. & M.E. School, Cox Colony
- Panchpara High School
- Panchyat High School, Badmal
- Purunabasti M P L High School
- Purunabasti BOYS U. P. School
- Purunabasti GIRLS U. P. School
- Purunabasti I. G .M. Girls High School
- Ratnakar High School, H. Katapali
- St. Mary's Higher Secondary School, Cox Colony
- St. Thomas English School
- Saraswati Shishu Mandir, Sarbahal
- Saraswati Vidya Mandir
- Saraswati Shishu Vidya Mandir, Mangalbazar Hindi Vibhag
- Shining Star International Public School, B. T. M.
- Siksha Niketan
- Town High School, Jharsuguda
- U.G.M.E. School, O. S. A. P.
- U.G.M.E. School, Hirma
- U. G. M. E. School, Sarbahal
- V. S. S. High School, Beheramal
- Vivekananda International School
The current MLA from Jharsuguda Assembly Constituency is Naba Kishore Das (Naba Das), who won the seat in 2009 and 2014 State elections by defeating Kishore Mohanty of BJD. Jharsuguda is currently under Bargarh (Lok Sabha constituency). This constituency came into existence in 2008 as a part of delimitation of parliamentary constituencies based on the recommendations of the Delimitation Commission of India in 2002. The current M.P. from the Bargarh (Lok Sabha constituency) is Dr. Prabhas Singh from Biju Janata Dal winning the elections in the year 2014.Previously Jharsuguda was under Deogarh (Lok Sabha constituency).
Currently, Jharsuguda has developed a lot in terms of infrastructure, industrial hub as well as there are 2-3 malls that have been recently set up in Jharsuguda. This city has undergone various changes in terms of the mindset of people. Now people look forward to going for co-curricular classes in their spare time. There are various dance studios out of which Stepz2Rhythm is quite famous for its dance training facility and every year 4-5 people from this studio gets selected for Television dance reality show. There are different music centres where one can master in different instruments of one's own choice.
- Gudguda water fall, 40 km from Jharsuguda.
- Rock Painting and Lithography of Bikramkhol
- Ruins of Hill Forts of Ulapgarh
- Padmasini Temple of Padampur
- Koilighughar Water Fall, Lakhanpur
- Ancient Siva Shrine of Jhadeswar Temple, Jharsuguda
- Shree Pahadeswar Temple, Jharsuguda
- Shiva Shrine of Mahadebpali
- Kolabira Fort (Historical)
- Chandi Temple, Brajrajnagar
- Laxmi Temple, Brajrajnagar
- Durga Temple (Old Town Temple), Jharsuguda
- Hanuman Temple (Bajranbali Mandir), Mangal Bazar, Jharsuguda
- Teli Talab Shiv Tample, Chowki Para
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc – Jharsuguda
- 2001 Census
- "Climate Data(Weatherbase)". Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "Climate Data(IMD)". Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "Important Fairs and Festival of Jharsuguda district".
- IIT submits master plan for twin cities. Orissa.in. Retrieved on 2011-01-20.
- UltraTech | Contact us. Ultratechcement.com (2005-04-20). Retrieved on 2011-01-20.
- Vedanta chalks out $4.6 bn expansion for Jharsuguda unit. Business-standard.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-20.
- Reliance plans 12,000 mW plant in Odisha – Rediff.com Business. Inhome.rediff.com (2005-05-31). Retrieved on 2011-01-20.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Jharsuguda. Kvjharsuguda.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-20.
- "State Elections 2004 – Partywise Comparison for 130-Jharsuguda Constituency of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-27.
- Jharsugda district website