Gámez playing for Málaga in 2012
|Full name||Jesús Gámez Duarte|
|Date of birth||10 April 1985|
|Place of birth||Fuengirola, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 27 August 2016.
He spent most of his career with Málaga, making his debut with the first team in 2005 and going on to appear in 293 official games.
Born in Fuengirola, Málaga, Andalusia, Gámez first appeared professionally with Málaga CF's B-side during 2003–04's Segunda División, and helped them retain their status during three seasons. However, midway through 2005–06, he was promoted to the first team, making his La Liga debut on 27 November 2005 (five minutes played in a 2–3 away loss against Getafe CF) as both the first and the second teams from the city eventually dropped down a level in June.
In two second level seasons, Gámez was an undisputed starter, replacing Gerardo as first-choice right-back and contributing with 35 games in 2007–08 as the club returned to the top flight after a two-year absence. He maintained the position throughout the following campaign, appearing in roughly the same matches and minutes.
Gámez was made Málaga's captain in the 2011 summer, after the retirement of veteran Francesc Arnau. He made his 200th league appearance on 29 January 2012, playing one minute in a local derby against Sevilla FC (2–1 home win); that same season, he helped the Boquerones to their highest ever league finish, a fourth place with the subsequent spot in the playoff-round of the UEFA Champions League.
During the 2016 summer transfer window, 31-year-old Gámez moved abroad for the first time in his career and joined Championship club Newcastle United on a two-year deal. He made his competitive debut on 23 August, starting in a 2–0 home win against Cheltenham Town for the EFL Cup. His maiden league appearance took place four days later, as he came on as a 72nd-minute substitute for Vurnon Anita against Brighton & Hove Albion (same venue and result).
- Atlético Madrid
- "Fernando Alonso da suerte al Getafe" [Fernando Alonso brings luck to Getafe] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 28 November 2005. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- ""Formamos una gran pareja de laterales"" ["We are a great set of fullbacks"] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 27 November 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Arnau, Gámez, Juanito y Fernando, capitanes" [Arnau, Gámez, Juanito and Fernando, captains] (in Spanish). Málaga CF. 19 August 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- Sevilla sunk by Boquerones; ESPN Soccernet, 29 January 2012
- "Madrid hit new heights, Málaga secure fourth". UEFA.com. 13 May 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Weligton y Gámez amplían sus contratos con el Málaga" [Weligton and Gámez extend their contracts with Málaga] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 16 May 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- Jesús Gámez prolonga su vinculación con el Málaga CF hasta la 16–17 (Jesús Gámez extends link to Málaga CF until 16–17); Málaga CF, 21 October 2013 (Spanish)
- "La Liga: Malaga full-back Jesus Gamez sign three-year deal with champions Atletico Madrid". Sky Sports. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "El Barcelona sin sorpresas y el Atlético con Gámez en el lateral izquierdo" [No surprises in Barcelona and Atlético with Gámez in left back position] (in Spanish). Liga BBVA. 11 January 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Simeone prueba a Gámez en el lateral y duda entre Koke y Arda" [Simeone tries Gámez as fullback and doubts between Koke and Arda] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 27 February 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Jesus Gamez: Newcastle United sign Atletico Madrid full-back". BBC Sport. 8 July 2016. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- "Newcastle United 2–0 Cheltenham Town". BBC Sport. 23 August 2016. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Newcastle United 2–0 Brighton & Hove Albion". BBC Sport. 27 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Mediterranean Games 2005 (Spain)". RSSSF. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- Jesús Gámez profile at BDFutbol
- Jesús Gámez profile at Futbolme (Spanish)
- Jesús Gámez profile at Soccerway