July 19, 1951|
|Occupation||Baseball writer and analyst|
|Years active||1979 – present|
The Philadelphia Inquirer
|Title||Senior writer for ESPN.com|
|Website||Jayson Stark blog|
Stark graduated from Syracuse University with a degree in journalism in 1973. In 1979 he joined The Philadelphia Inquirer as a beat writer for the Philadelphia Phillies, and eventually became a national baseball writer and columnist for that paper. From 1983 to 1999 he produced a nationally syndicated Baseball Week in Review column "known for unearthing obscure, historic and humorous aspects of baseball". He was twice named Pennsylvania Sportswriter of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. His observations and analysis of the 1993 Phillies team is quoted in several books.
Stark joined ESPN in 2000. He is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He also contributes to SportsCenter, ESPNews, Baseball Tonight, and a weekly segment during baseball season with WHB 810 in Kansas City. He appears weekly on Mike & Mike. Beginning in 2014, Stark began co-hosting a weekly radio show during baseball season on ESPN Radio's affiliate in Philadelphia.
- Wild Pitches: Rumblings, Grumblings, and Reflections on the Game I Love. Triumph Books. 2014. ISBN 1623688167.
- Worth The Wait: Tales of the 2008 Phillies. Triumph Books. 2011. ISBN 1600786553.
- The Stark Truth: The Most Overrated and Underrated Players in Baseball History. Triumph Books. 2007. ISBN 1572439599.
- "Kolten Wong's walk-off wins wild one". ESPN. 13 October 2014.
- "Strange stuff … in the 2011 postseason". ESPN. 23 December 2011.
- "Strange But True in 2010". ESPN. 24 December 2010.
- "Schmidt Just Made It Look Easy", in The Phillies Reader, Richard Orodenker, ed. 2005: Temple University Press, page 220. ISBN 1592133983.
- "Jayson Stark". ESPN Mediazone. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Morgan, Bruce (2012). Steve Carlton and the 1972 Phillies. McFarland. p. 178. ISBN 0786489839.
- Macnow, Glen; Cataldi, Angelo (2004). The Great Philadelphia Sports Debate. B B & A Publishers. p. 20. ISBN 0975441914.
- "ESPN's Stark to visit Penn State for Foster Conference". Penn State | News. The Pennsylvania State University. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Gordon, Bob; Burgoyne, Tom (2013). More than Beards, Bellies and Biceps: The Story of the 1993 Phillies (And the Phillie Phanatic Too). Skyhorse Publishing. ISBN 1613214472.
- Gordon, Robert (2013). Then Bowa Said to Schmidt...: The Greatest Phillies Stories Ever Told. Triumph Books. p. 153. ISBN 1623682266.
- "Jayson Stark". Speakerpedia.com. 2015. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "ESPNs Jayson Stark Talks Phillies!". Suburban One Sports. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- ESPN Jayson Stark Blog
- Jayson Stark on Twitter
- Jayson Stark at the Internet Movie Database
- Jayson Stark Live CBS Local