|Traded as||TYO: 6740|
|Founded||(April 1, 2012 )|
|Headquarters||Landic Shinbashi Building 2, 3-7-1, Nishi-shinbashi, Minato, Tokyo, 105-0003, Japan|
|Shuichi Otsuka, (CEO and President)|
|Products||Development, production and sale of small- and medium-sized displays devices and related products|
|Revenue||¥ 614.56 billion) (FY 2013)|
US$ 329 million (FY 2013)(¥ 33.91 billion) (FY 2013)
Number of employees
|16,000 (consolidated) (as of July 1, 2014)|
Footnotes / references|
- April 1 - Operations begin
- April 1 - Japan Display West, Japan Display Central, and Japan Display East are merged.
- October 23 - New Subsidiary "Taiwan Display Inc." is established.
- March 19 - The company is listed on the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
JDI has developed several technologies to differentiate its LCD panels from those of the competitors.
- Active-matrix displays driven by TFTs based on a low-temperature polycrystalline-silicon ("LTPS") process instead of amorphous silicon. These higher performance transistors allow a higher resolution (more ppi = pixels per inch).
- Most LCDs manufactured by JDI use the In-Plane-Switching concept, as do many of its competitors. JDI has developed an improvement for darker black pixels (true-black appearance), called "IPS-NEO", which reduces the light shining through from the backlighting.
- The conventional combination of a transparent touch-screen device in front of an LCD panel has been replaced by integrating the touch-screen function into the LCD panel itself, called "Pixel Eyes".
- For reflective LCDs without backlighting, JDI has developed an addressing technique using a thin-film memory device SRAM in addition to the conventional TFT for each pixel, so that a still image can be stored with very little energy.
As JDI conducted an IPO during March 2014, some business information became available.
It was reported that JDI is the major supplier of displays for Apple's iPhone.
- "Stock Data and Information". Japan Display. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- "Company Outline". Japan Display. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- "Consolidated Financial Results for Fiscal Year 2013". Japan Display. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- "Sony, Hitachi, and Toshiba Agree to "Japan Display" Joint Venture". DailyTech. November 15, 2011. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- "Panasonic to Sell TV Panel Factory to New Japan Display Venture". CIO. November 15, 2011. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- "Japan Display Inc. Listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange". Japan Display. March 19, 2014. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- Shinichiro Unozawa (March 19, 2014). "Japan Display IPO 1st fruit of INCJ's investment". Nikkei Inc. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- LTPS explained
- IPS-NEO explained
- Pixel Eyes explained
- Combination of SRAM + TFT explained
- Financial information provided by JDI
- Reiji Murai; Takashi Umekawa (March 19, 2014). "News of IPO by JDI". Reuters. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- Japan Display Inc
. official website(English)
- JDI Group - Taiwan Display Inc
. official website(Chinese)