Gustave pitching for the Houston Astros in 2016 spring training
|Houston Astros – No. 61|
Born: October 12, 1992|
Pimentel, Dominican Republic
|August 11, 2016, for the Houston Astros|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||3.52|
Gustave signed with the Houston Astros as an amateur free agent in 2010, receiving a $40,000 signing bonus. He spent his first two professional seasons with the Dominican Summer League Astros, and played for the Gulf Coast League Astros in 2012. In 2013, he pitched for the Greeneville Astros of the Rookie-level Appalachian League, pitching to a 2–3 win–loss record and a 2.68 earned run average (ERA). He played for the Quad Cities River Bandits of the Class A Midwest League in 2014, finishing the year with a 5–5 win-loss record and a 5.01 ERA.
After the 2014 season, the Boston Red Sox selected Gustave from the Astros in the 2014 Rule 5 draft, and traded him to the Kansas City Royals. During spring training in 2015, the Royals placed Gustave on waivers, and he was claimed by the San Diego Padres. The Padres then returned Gustave to the Astros before the start of the regular season.
Gustave pitched for the Corpus Christi Hooks of the Class AA Texas League in 2015. He pitched to a 5–2 record and a 2.15 ERA with 20 saves, and was named a postseason All-Star. The Astros added him to their 40-man roster after the season. Gustave began the 2016 season with the Fresno Grizzlies of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, and was promoted to the major leagues on August 10.
- de Jesus Ortiz, Jose (March 14, 2016). "Grandmother's love goes far for Astros' Jandel Gustave: Gustave rises from humble beginnings to cusp of majors". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "River Bandits picked in Rule V draft". Quad City Times. December 11, 2014. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- KWCH. "Royals acquire pitcher Jandel Gustave from Red Sox". kwch.com. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "Royals waive former Astro Jandel Gustave". Ultimate Astros. March 24, 2015. Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- Dennis Lin (March 26, 2015). "Padres claim Rule 5 pick Jandel Gustave off waivers – UTSanDiego.com". U-T San Diego. Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- Baer, Bill (April 3, 2015). "Padres return pitcher Jandel Gustave to the Astros". hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Linares named TL's top manager, four Hooks tabbed Postseason All-Stars". Corpus Christi Caller-Times. August 27, 2015. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "Astros add five players to 40-man roster". USA Today. KHOU.com. November 20, 2015. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- Kaplan, Jake (August 10, 2016). "Astros cut ties with Carlos Gomez". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)