Jainism in Haryana
|Part of a series on|
Ancient idols of Jain Tirthankara (made of bronze and stone) were found in archaeological expeditions in Badli, Bhiwani (Ranila, Charkhi Dadri, Badhara village), Dadri, Gurgaon (Ferozpur Jhirka), Hansi, Hisar (Agroha), Kasan, Nahad, Narnaul, Pehowa, Rewari, Rohad, Rohtak (Asthal-Abohar) and Sonepat in Haryana. Agrawal Jain community traces its origins from Hisar. Guptisagar Dham Tirtha at Gannur is a religious tourist spot in Haryana. It is named after the Jain Acharya Guptisagar.
Agroha region came under influence of Jainism during Acharya Bhadrabahu. Rohtak was an important Jain center as Lord Mahavira paid many visits to this district. Ancient Tirthankara idols and Jain temples were also found in the vicinity of Khokhra-kot, belonging to Rajput-era.
Government of Haryana (BJP) banned meat for nine days in September 2015 during the Jain festival of Paryushana. This was done by issuing a circular to all the municipal bodies asking meat shop vendors not to sell meat or fish on 17, 18 and 27 September 2015. Muni Tarunsagar conducted his 2015 chaturmas in Sector 16, Faridabad and made a world record during launch of his book, Kadve-Pravachans.
moolchand jain,many times M.L.A,AND FINACE MINISTER IN HARYANA,
OMPARBHA JAIN,EX MINISTER
OMPARKASH JAIN EX MINISTER
- Singh 2007, p. 401.
- Kumar 2015, p. 391.
- Jains to be accorded minority status in Haryana, Chandigarh: Zee News, 30 January 2012
- Singh 2007, p. 402.
- Census of India (2001), Population by religious communities, Ministry of Home Affairs (India)
- Office of registrar general and census commissioner (2011), C-1 Population By Religious Community, Ministry of Home Affairs (India)
- Kumar 2015, p. 394.
- Kumar 2015, p. 395.
- Ambala - Places of Interest - Jain Samaj, Haryana Tourism
- CNN-IBN (12 September 2015), Now, Haryana bans sale of meat for 9 days during Jain festival of Paryushan, IBN Live
- Express News Service, Not passed any order on meat ban, only an appeal to slaughterhouses: Haryana govt., The Indian Express
- Kumar, Pradeep (June 2015), Jain Pilgrimage Destinations and their potentiality in Haryana Tourism (PDF)
- Singh, Abhay Kumar; Arora, Udai Prakash (1 January 2007), Udayana, Anamika Publishers & Distributors, ISBN 81-7975-168-6