|Born||1949 (age 66–67)|
|Alma mater||Muhlenberg College|
|Occupation||Novelist and sportswriter|
Jack McCallum (born 1949) is an American novelist and sportswriter.
Early life and education
McCallum joined the staff of Sports Illustrated magazine in 1981, and became known for his articles on the National Basketball Association (NBA). He won the Basketball Hall of Fame's Curt Gowdy Media Award – Print in 2005.
During the 2005–06 NBA pre-season, McCallum began working as an unofficial assistant coach with the Phoenix Suns NBA basketball team, based in Phoenix, Arizona, as part of an assignment for Sports Illustrated. The piece soon evolved into a larger project, as the Suns granted McCallum full access to their practices and strategy sessions throughout the entire season. The resulting work was his book :07 Seconds or Less – My Season on the Bench with the Runnin' and Gunnin' Phoenix Suns (2006).
Additionally, McCallum wrote Unfinished Business: On and Off the Court With the 1990-91 Boston Celtics, as well as Dream Team: How Michael, Magic, Larry, Charles, and The Greatest Team Of All Time Conquered the World and Changed the Game of Basketball Forever, a nonfiction book chronicling the players on the Dream Team and the events before, during and after the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.
- McCallum, Jack (2012). Dream Team – How Michael, Magic, Larry, Charles, and the Greatest Team of All Time Conquered the World and Changed the Game of Basketball Forever. New York City: Ballantine Books. ISBN 978-0-345-52048-7. (biography)
- McCallum, Jack; L. Jon Werthiem (2006). Foul Lines – A Pro Basketball Novel. New York City: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-743-28650-3. (novel)
- McCallum, Jack (2006). :07 Seconds or Less – My Season on the Bench with the Runnin' and Gunnin' Phoenix Suns. New York City: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-743-29811-7.
- Database (undated). Jack McCallum Archive. Sports Illustrated. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- Staff (undated). "Curt Gowdy Media Award Winners". Basketball Hall of Fame. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- Feschuk, Dave (November 21, 2006). "Author Sleeps Over in House of Rising Suns". Toronto Star. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- "NBA Insider: Fascinating Book Takes Close Look at Suns". San Antonio Express-News. November 3, 2006. Retrieved September 24, 2006.
- "A Titan of NBA Writing Accepts a Buyout". ESPN. November 21, 2008. Retrieved September 24, 2008.
- Littlefield, Bill (March 5, 2006). "On the Hardwood, Upsets, Excess, and the Mouth That Roared". The Boston Globe. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- Jack McCallum at the Internet Movie Database
- Works by or about Jack McCallum in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- McCallum, Jack (September 9, 2005). "Hall of a Career – A Mountain of Memories on the NBA Beat". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved August 6, 2012.