Blash with the Padres in 2016
|San Diego Padres – No. 32|
Born: July 4, 1989|
Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
|April 4, 2016, for the San Diego Padres|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||5|
Blash was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 29th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball draft out of Charlotte Amalie High School in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. He did not sign and attended Alcorn State University, but was unable to play baseball due to issues with his academic transcript. He transferred to Miami-Dade College, and had a .353 batting average and 10 home runs in 102 at-bats for the school's baseball team. He was then drafted by the Texas Rangers in the ninth round of the 2009 Major League Baseball draft. He again did not sign and returned to Miami-Dade.
The Seattle Mariners then took him in the eighth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft and he signed. Blash made his professional debut for the Pulaski Mariners. In 2013 he hit 25 home runs with a .915 on-base plus slugging (OPS) while playing for the High Desert Mavericks and Jackson Generals. He started 2014 back with Jackson and was promoted to the Tacoma Rainiers in April Blash was selected by the Oakland Athletics in the 2015 Rule 5 draft and then traded to the San Diego Padres as the player to be named later from an earlier trade.
Blash struggled with the Padres, batting 3-for-25 (.120) with 13 strikeouts, and was designated for assignment on May 13. He cleared waivers and the Mariners declined his return, allowing him to be outrighted into San Diego's minor league system. After playing for the El Paso Chihuahuas, the Padres promoted him back to the major leagues on July 30.
- Lin, Dennis (March 7, 2016). "Blash a springtime fascination, maybe more: Rule 5 pickup blasted first home run Monday". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- "Cookies Required". stcroixsource.com. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "Mariners agree to terms with eighth-round selection OF Jabari Blash". Seattle Mariners. Retrieved October 14, 2014.
- "V.I.'s Jabari Blash signs with Mariners". Retrieved October 14, 2014.
- "Virgin Island Daily News". Retrieved October 14, 2014.
- "Seattle Mariners MLB Baseball Front Page". scout.com. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- Padres, San Diego. "Padres acquire OF Jabari Blash from Oakland Athletics". Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Padres DFA Rule 5 player Jabari Blash". Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Padres trade Kemp to Braves for Olivera". Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Jabari blash on Twitter