J L Dixons
J L Dixons department store opened in Southend, England in 1913 and shut its doors in 1973. The store was located on the corner of London Road and what was called The Broadway, now known as the High Street with its main competitors being Keddies & Brightwells. The site was re-developed in 1938 and had over 40,000 square feet in total, is today occupied by WHSmith, Burger King, Toy n Tuck (Queens Road) and the Lawrence Matthews Art Shop (Queens Road).
J L Dixons was not related to Dixons Retail (now Dixons Carphone Warehouse), also started in Southend.
- Current Picture of the Dixons Building by Fawcett Mead (estate agents) - http://www.fawcettmead.co.uk/aug2011_4.html
- Picture of Dixons in 1960 on Bakeringwakeringvillages website - http://www.barlingwakeringvillages.co.uk/around/southend_high_street_1960.htm
- Picture of Dixons 1969 by Bob Bowyer - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/55665
- Skinner, Nicholas. "Keddies". Southend Timeline. Retrieved 17 September 2014