Teva Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (TAPI)
|Division of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries|
|Headquarters||Petah Tikva, Israel|
Number of employees
Teva Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (TAPI) is an international pharmaceutical company headquartered in Israel. TAPI is a stand-alone business unit of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries limited, the largest generic drug manufacturer in the world and one of the 15 largest pharmaceutical companies worldwide.
On top of supplying a major share of Teva's own needs, the TAPI division is an active competitor in world markets, investing both in the development of new products and manufacturing processes and in the upgrading of production facilities. In 2014, TAPI's sales to third parties totaled $724 million. In recent years growth occurred in all of TAPI's principal geographical markets: North America, Europe and International. As of 2013, Teva Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients employs over 5,000 professionals worldwide, and offers a rich portfolio of about 300 active pharmaceutical ingredients.
At the heart of the API division is the Israel-based Teva-Tech, formerly known as the Assia and Plantex plants which manufacture, develop and market raw materials for pharmaceuticals.
TAPI has grown by acquiring top rated manufacturing and development facilities around the world. Today, TAPI operates 21 plants worldwide. Major TAPI’s acquisitions:
- 2011 - Teva Acquisition of Theramex in Monaco
- TAPI 2008 Acquisitions
- Acquisitions & Foundations since the 1990s
- 2006 – Acquisition of Wanma in China
- 2006 – Acquisition of Ivax Corporation
- 2004 – Acquisition of Sicor API in Italy, Mexico and Switzerland
- 2003 – Acquisition of RDL in India
- 2002 – Acquisition of PFC in Italy
- 1996 – Acquisition of BIOCRAFT in Missouri (US)
- 1995 – Foundation of TEVA-TECH in Israel
- 1995 – Acquisition of ICI in Italy & BIOGAL in Hungary
- 1991 – Acquisition of PROSINTEX in Italy
Research and development
The R&D group at TAPI consists of a team of over 760 top scientists located in 7 development centers worldwide: A large center in Israel (synthetic products and peptides), a large center in Hungary (fermentation and semi-synthetic products), and a facility in India and additional sites in Italy, Croatia, Mexico and the Czech Republic (development of high potency API). TAPI's R&D focuses on the development of processes for the manufacturing of API, including intermediates, chemical and biological (fermentation), which are of interest to the generic drug industry, as well as Teva's proprietary drugs. The API R&D division also seeks methods to continuously reduce API production costs, enabling TAPI to improve its cost structure.
Manufacturing and technology
Teva has 21 API production facilities located in Israel, Hungary, Italy, the U.S., the Czech Republic, India, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Monaco, China and Croatia. TAPI’s holds expertise in a variety of production technologies, including chemical synthesis, semi-synthetic fermentation, enzymatic synthesis, high potent manufacturing, plant extract technology, synthetic peptides, vitamin D derivatives and prostaglandins. Also, its advanced technology and expertise in the field of solid state particle technology enables it to meet specifications for particle size distribution (PSD), bulk density, specific surface area, polymorphism, as well as other characteristics.
Teva’s API facilities meet all applicable current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) requirements under U.S., European, Japanese, and other applicable quality standards. In some of the products that are sold in the U.S., TAPI utilizes controlled substances and therefore must meet the requirements of the Controlled Substances Act and the related regulations administered by the Drug Enforcement Administration.
TAPI produces approximately 300 active pharmaceutical ingredients covering a wide range of products, including respiratory, cardiovascular, anti-cholesterol, central nervous system, dermatological, hormones, anti-inflammatory, oncology, immunosuppressants and muscle relaxants. Its API intellectual property portfolio includes over 1,200 granted patents and pending applications worldwide.
- "Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd (TEVA.K)". Reuters Finance. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "Leading Global Pharmaceutical Company, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Transfers Stock Listing to the New York Stock Exchange from NASDAQ". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "TEVA - Investor Relations (IR) - Quarterly and Annual Reports". Ir.tevapharm.com. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- "The Merck Group - News Detail". Merck.de. 2010-10-28. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- Jennifer Bayot for the New York Times. July 26, 2005 Teva to Acquire Ivax, Another Maker of Generic Drugs
- Teva Press Release, 2006. Teva Completes Acquisition of Ivax
- "Teva Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients". TAPI. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- "Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA)- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients ("API")". Wikiinvest. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Ingredients for Success". World Pharmaceuticals Frontiers. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "World Pharmaceutical Frontiers". World Pharmaceuticals Frontiers. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- "TAPI Product Catalogue, January 2012" (PDF). TAPI. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- Teva Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (TAPI) official website
- TAPI Product List
- Teva official website