Independence Medal (Ciskei)
|Awarded by the President|
|Type||Military commemorative medal|
|Awarded for||Commemoration of the independence of Ciskei|
|Status||Discontinued in 1981|
|CDF pre-1994 & SANDF post-2002 orders of wear|
The Independence Medal was instituted by the President of the Republic of Ciskei in 1981, for award to all serving members of the Ciskei Defence Force on 4 December 1981 to commemorate the independence of Ciskei.
The Ciskei Defence Force
The Ciskei Defence Force (CDF) was established upon that country's independence on 4 December 1981. The Republic of Ciskei ceased to exist on 27 April 1994 and the Ciskei Defence Force was amalgamated with six other military forces into the South African National Defence Force (SANDF).
Order of wear
Since the Independence Medal was authorised for wear by one of the statutory forces which came to be part of the South African National Defence Force on 27 April 1994, it was accorded a position in the official South African order of precedence on that date.
- Ciskei Defence Force until 26 April 1994
- Official CDF order of precedence:
- Ciskei official national order of precedence:
- Preceded by the Ciskei Defence Medal.
- Succeeded by the Police Insignia for Merit.
- South African National Defence Force from 27 April 1994
- Official SANDF order of precedence:
- Official national order of precedence:
The position of the Independence Medal in the official order of precedence was revised twice after 1994, to accommodate the inclusion or institution of new decorations and medals, first in April 1996 when decorations and medals were belatedly instituted for the two former non-statutory forces, the Azanian People's Liberation Army and Umkhonto we Sizwe, and again upon the institution of a new set of honours on 27 April 2003. It remained unchanged on both occasions.
The Independence Medal is a disk struck in copper, 38 millimetres in diameter, displaying a blue crane on a crossed spear and knobkierie, framed inside a double circle which is inscribed "IXKULULEKO" at left, "CISKEI" at the top, "INDEPENDENCE" at right and "4 DISEMBA 1981" below.
The ribbon is 32 millimetres wide, with a 4 millimetres wide brown band, a 4 millimetres wide green band and a 4 millimetres wide blue band, repeated in reverse order and separated by an 8 millimetres wide white band in the centre.
- Republic of South Africa Government Gazette Vol. 477, no. 27376, Pretoria, 11 March 2005, OCLC 72827981
- Republic of Ciskei Constitution Act, no. 20 of 1981
- South Africa Homeland Militaries, May 1996 (Accessed 1 May 2015)
- Peled, Alon (1998), A Question of Loyalty: Military Manpower Policy in Multiethnic States, Cornell Studies in Security Affairs, Ithaca: Cornell University Press, pp. 50f, ISBN 0-8014-3239-1
- Warrant of the President of the Republic of South Africa for the Institution of the "UNITAS MEDAL-UNITAS-MEDALJE", Gazette no. 16087 dated 25 November 1994.
- Uniform: SA Army: Former Forces Medals - Ciskei Defence Force (CDF)
- South African Medals Website - Legal aspects - Fount of Honour (Accessed 1 May 2015)
- Ciskei Miniature Medal for Independence (with Independence Medal (Venda)'s ribbon)