If We're Honest
|If We're Honest|
|Studio album by Francesca Battistelli|
|Released||April 22, 2014|
|Genre||Contemporary Christian music|
|Francesca Battistelli chronology|
|Singles from If We're Honest|
If We're Honest is the third studio album by Christian singer and songwriter Francesca Battistelli that was released on April 22, 2014 by Word Entertainment and Fervent Records. The lead single from the album was "Write Your Story", which was released before the album on January 3, 2014 to radio and on January 14, 2014 as a commercially available single for download.
The lead single from the album, "Write Your Story", was released to radio stations on January 3, 2014, and as a digital download on January 14, 2014. It peaked at No. 3 on Billboard's radio airplay chart.
"Holy Spirit" was released as the album's third single on March 30, 2015. After "Holy Spirt" was released as the third single, and it's being on the deluxe edition, the standard version of the album was re-released with "Holy Spirit" included in the track listing.
|Christian Broadcasting Network|
|Indie Vision Music|
|Jesus Freak Hideout|
|New Release Today|
|The Sound Opinion|
If We're Honest garnered critical acclaim by fifteen music critics ratings and reviews. At CCM Magazine, Grace S. Aspinwall rated the album four stars out of five, stating that "With a more mature style and a more soulful vocal, it appears the multi-talented Battistelli has only dug further for this beautiful project" noting "The result is perfection." Markos Papadatos of the Digital Journal rated the album four-and-a-half stars out of five, remarking that "it is not overdone from an instrumental standpoint, and she allows her rich lyrics to shine throughout, coupled by her polished and crystalline vocals." At New Release Today, Sarah Fine rated the album a perfect five stars, writing that "It is undoubtedly Francesca's best yet" because the release has "enough soulful familiarity to satisfy, and the careful touch of some new sonic elements to keep things fresh". Hannah Goodwyn of Christian Broadcasting Network rated the album three-and-a-half spins out of five, noting that the release "only adds to her stronghold in Contemporary Christian music" because the album "offers some real, heartfelt and deeply worshipful tunes that will soon become fan favorites." At Cross Rhythms, Stephen Luff rated the album nine squares out of ten, writing that "This album can only win more people to appreciate Francesca's warm and caressing vocal tones aided by top production from some of Nashville's finest." David Jeffries of AllMusic rated the album four stars out of five, indicating how "Even with all the polish and professionalism, If We're Honest is a relatable and real effort and an easy recommendation for those who like their worship-to-go pop."
At Indie Vision Music, Jonathan Andre rated the album four stars, saying that "With each track standing out musically and lyrically, Francesca's fresh and relevant musical perspective is translated throughout each song, all the while paying homage to the musical roots of her past- a piano-pop musical undertone with a prominence on vocal delivery, providing us with a well-rounded album". At Jesus Freak Hideout, Jen Rose rated the album three-and-a-half stars out of five, remarking that the release is "feel-good pop", which the tunes are "poppy, friendly, and relatable, and a whole lot of fun to listen to": however, she closes with, "here's hoping that future releases will let her take a few more risks and allow this talented artist to bring something honest and sonically fresh to the table." Mark Rice writing for Jesus Freak Hideout rated the album four stars out of five, saying "If We're Honest showcases Battistelli in her element, crafting the year's most worthy pure pop album so far." Laura Chambers of Christian Music Review rated the album a 4.6 out of five, remarking that "The truths imparted on these tracks are vital to our spiritual wellbeing." At Christian Music Zine, Joshua Andre rated the album a 4.75 out of five, writing that the release is Battistelli's "most mature and complete album to date", and goes onto say "Well done Francesca for exceeding my expectations and wowing us with your exemplary songwriting prowess!"
At Alpha Omega News, Tom Frigoli graded the album an A+, saying that it is "a brilliant release from a very talented artist." Kelcey Wixtrom of CM Addict rated the album a four out of five stars, stating that "Francesca's passion and heart for worship is evident on this song, and ultimately through the entirety of the album." At The Sound Opinion, Lindsay Williams rated the album a perfect five stars, saying that "The album showcases Battistelli's ability to pen shimmering pop songs filled with relatable lyrics, making Franny feel more like a friend than an award-winning pop songstress." Timothy Yap at Hallels gave a generally positive review of the album, which he notes that the album tries to hard to please radio making the music feel not unique, however "it's spiritually deep enough that will get us ruminating, drawing us closer to the Savior." However, Brian Mansfield of USA Today felt otherwise and rated the album two stars out of four, criticizing the release as "This catchy, encouraging pop, aimed directly at teenage girls and young women, is the kind of music Katy Perry would be making if she were still Katy Hudson, making music for the Christian market." Felicia Abraham, reviewing the album at Charisma, writes, "The new albums is set to be her most intimate to date".
For the Billboard charting week of May 10, 2014, If We're Honest was the No. 13 most sold album in the entirety of the United States by the Billboard 200, and it was the No. 2 most sold Top Christian Album.
|1.||"Write Your Story"||Francesca Battistelli, David Arthur Garcia, Ben Glover||3:23|
|2.||"When the Crazy Kicks In"||Battistelli, Ian Eskelin, Tony Wood||3:01|
|3.||"He Knows My Name"||Battistelli, Mia Fieldes, Seth Mosley||3:25|
|4.||"Unusual"||Battistelli, Eskelin, Wood||2:44|
|5.||"Choose to Love"||Battistelli, Justin Ebach, Wood||2:49|
|6.||"Run to Jesus"||Battistelli, Garcia, Glover, Jennifer Schott||3:20|
|7.||"Find Rest"||Battistelli, Jared Anderson, Eskelin||3:23|
|8.||"If We're Honest"||Battistelli, Jeff Pardo, Molly E. Reed||3:09|
|9.||"Giants Fall"||Battistelli, Pardo, Reed||3:13|
|10.||"Hands of God" (featuring Matt Hammitt)||Battistelli, Matt Hammitt, Mosley||3:43|
|11.||"We Are the Kingdom"||Battistelli, Casey Brown, Jonathan Smith||3:43|
|12.||"Holy Spirit"||Brian Torwalt, Katie Torwalt||5:02|
|13.||"Keeping Score"||Battistelli, Glover||3:01|
|14.||"I Am Home"||Battistelli, Eskelin, Wood||3:00|
|15.||"Tonight" (featuring All Sons & Daughters)||Battistelli, Leslie Jordan, David Leonard||3:00|
|Family Christian bonus track|
|16.||"Just the Same"||Battistelli, Jason Ingram, Mosley||4:14|
|Target bonus CD|
|1.||"Strangely Dim"||Battistelli, Eskelin, Mosley||3:21|
|2.||"This Is the Stuff"||Battistelli, Eskelin, Wood||3:04|
|3.||"Angel By Your Side"||Battistelli, Jason Walker||3:30|
|4.||"Free to Be Me"||Battistelli||3:28|
|5.||"Beautiful, Beautiful"||Battistelli, Eskelin, Andrew Fromm||3:17|
|16.||"Giants Fall" (Live at Marathon)||Battistelli, Pardo, Reed||3:29|
|17.||"Write Your Story" (Live at Marathon)||Battistelli, Garcia, Glover||3:22|
- Family Christian bonus track, "Just The Same", has a varying track listing number. It can be either track 12 or track 16.
|UK Christian & Gospel Albums (OCC)||1|
|US Billboard 200||13|
|US Christian Albums (Billboard)||2|
|US Digital Albums (Billboard)||13|
| US Christian|
|2014||"Write Your Story"||4|
|"He Knows My Name"||3|
|2016||"If We're Honest"||9|
Other charted songs
| US Christian|
|2014||"When the Crazy Kicks In"||46|
- "Francesca Battistelli". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved February 11, 2009.
- "iTunes (U.S.) - Music - If We're Honest". iTunes (U.S.). April 22, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- Album booklet
- "Francesca Battistelli's Premiere Appearance on Good Morning America". CCM Magazine. February 10, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- "Write Your Story: Francesca Battistelli". Amazon.com. January 14, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Billboard.biz (April 19, 2014). "Christian Airplay : April 19, 2014". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "R&R :: Going For Adds: Christian CHR". Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "R&R :: Going For Adds: Christian CHR". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Contemporary Christian Radio Music New, Songs, Artists, and Stations - AllAccess.com". AllAccess. January 3, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Jeffries, David. "If We're Honest - Francesca Battistelli | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Aspinwall, Grace S. (April 15, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli: If We're Honest (Word Entertainment)" (PDF). CCM Magazine. Salem Publishing. p. 34. ISSN 1524-7848. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Goodwyn, Hannah (April 26, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli's If We're Honest: Review". Christian Broadcasting Network. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- Luff, Stephen (May 1, 2014). "Review: If We're Honest (Deluxe Edition) - Francesca Battistelli". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Papadatos, Markos (April 22, 2014). "Review: Francesca Battistelli back with new album 'If We're Honest'". Digital Journal. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Andre, Jonathan (April 17, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli – If We're Honest | Reviews". Indie Vision Music. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Rose, Jen (April 20, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli, "If We're Honest" Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Rice, Mark (April 22, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli, "If We're Honest" Review: Second Staff Opinion". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Fine, Sarah (March 11, 2014). "Franny's Defining Work". New Release Tuesday. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Williams, Lindsay (April 17, 2014). "REVIEW: Francesca Battistelli, If We're Honest". New Release Tuesday. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Mansfield, Brian (April 21, 2014). "Listen Up: Other notable releases". USA Today. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Chambers, Laura (April 15, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli 'If We're Honest'". CM Addict. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Andre, Joshua (April 21, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli – If We're Honest (Review)". Christian Music Zine. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Frigoli, Tom (May 9, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli – If We're Honest". Alpha Omega News. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- Wixtrom, Kelcey (April 17, 2014). "Review of If We're Honest (Deluxe) by Francesca Battistelli". CM Addict. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Yap, Timothy (April 21, 2014). "Francesca Battistelli "If We're Honest" Album Review". Hallels. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Abraham, Felicia (April 1, 2014). Yoars, Marcus, ed. "Music: If We're Honest - Francesca Battistelli (Warner Nashville)". Charisma. Vol. 39 no. 9. Lake Mary, Florida: Stephen Strang and Joy Strang. p. 84. ISSN 0895-156X. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "iTunes (U.S.) - Music - If We're Honest (Deluxe Version)". iTunes (U.S.). April 22, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "Family Christian Bookstores - Music - If We're Honest (Family Christian Bonus Track)". Family Christian Bookstores. April 22, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "Target - Music - If We're Honest (2CD deluxe edition) [Only at Target". Target. April 22, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- Inner liner notes of album as sold by Target.
- "Official Christian & Gospel Albums Chart Top 20". OCC. April 27, 2015. Archived from the original on May 19, 2016.
- "Francesca Battistelli – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Francesca Battistelli.
- "Francesca Battistelli – Chart history" Billboard Christian Albums for Francesca Battistelli.
- "Francesca Battistelli – Chart history" Billboard Digital Albums for Francesca Battistelli.
- "Francesca Battistelli - Chart history (Hot Christian Songs)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved September 4, 2016.