Abu Mansur al-Baghdadi
|'Abd al-Qahir al-Baghdadi|
429 A.H. (1037 C.E.)|
Abu Mansur 'Abd al-Qahir ibn Tahir al-Baghdadi (Arabic: أبو منصور عبدالقاهر ابن طاهر بن محمد بن عبدالله التميمي الشافعي البغدادي) was a Shafi'i scholar, Imam in fundamentals of Islam (Usul), heresiologist and mathematician.
Early life and education
'Abd al-Qahir al-Baghdadi was born and raised in Baghdad. He received his education in Nishabur and subsequently taught 17 subjects, including law, usul, arithmetic, law of inheritance and theology. Most of the scholars of Khurasan were his pupils. Ibn 'Asakir writes that Abu Mansur met the companions of the companions of Imam al-Ashari and acquired knowledge from them.
'Abd al-Qahir al-Baghdadi wrote several books including Usul al-Din, a systematic treatise, beginning with the nature of knowledge, creation, how the Creator is knos attributes, etc.... and al-Farq bayn al-Firaq which takes each sect separately, judges all from the standpoint of orthodoxy and condemns all which deviate from the straight path. Both books were major works on the beliefs of Ahl al-Sunna.
- Gibb, H.A.R.; Kramers, J.H.; Levi-Provencal, E.; Schacht, J. (1986) [1st. pub. 1960]. Encyclopaedia of Islam (New Edition). Volume I (A-B). Leiden, Netherlands: Brill. p. 909. ISBN 9004081143.
- Anthony, Sean (2011). The Caliph and the Heretic: Ibn Sabaʾ and the Origins of Shīʿism. Brill. p. 72. ISBN 9004216065.
- Adang, Camilla; Fierro, Maribel; Schmidtke, Sabine (2012). Ibn Hazm of Cordoba: The Life and Works of a Controversial Thinker (Handbook of Oriental Studies) (Handbook of Oriental Studies: Section 1; The Near and Middle East). Leiden, Netherlands: Brill Academic Publishers. p. 387. ISBN 978-90-04-23424-6.
- Keller, Nuh Ha Mim (1997). Reliance of the Traveller. A classic manual of Islamic Sacred Law. Beltsville, Maryland: Amana Publications. p. 1021. ISBN 0915957728.
- McCarthy, Richard J. (1953). The Theology of Al-Ashari. Imprimerie Catholique. p. 179.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Abu Mansur ibn Tahir Al-Baghdadi", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Biography of Imam Al Baghdadi by at-tawhid.net