8 October 1964
Knotty Ash, Liverpool, Lancashire, England, UK
Hart was born in Knotty Ash, a district of Liverpool, Lancashire, one of three siblings, and was brought up in a Roman Catholic family. He attended the Cardinal Allen Grammar School and was in his teens a member of the Everyman Youth Theatre before studying drama at the now-defunct Mabel Fletcher College of Music and Drama in Liverpool. He then moved on and started acting in 1980.
From 1988 to 1991, Hart studied video production at South Mersey College (now part of Liverpool Community College). He portrayed an International Brigade volunteer in the Spanish Civil War in Land and Freedom (1995), an unemployed Liverpool shipyard worker in Liam (2000). His best known role, however, is that of Professor Quirrell in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001). He also provided the voice of the CGI-generated face of Lord Voldemort.
Hart has played John Lennon in three productions – as a 22-year-old Lennon a few months prior to the late 1963 British Invasion in The Hours and Times (1991), a slightly younger Lennon during The Beatles' 1960-62 Hamburg period in Backbeat (1994), and a 50-year-old Lennon (having avoided his true fate at age 40) in the Playhouse Presents television production Snodgrass (2013).
Hart played Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the film Finding Neverland in 2004, having already played Doyle's creation Dr. Watson in a BBC One television film of The Hound of the Baskervilles in 2002, and reprising the role in 2004 in Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking, with a different actor playing Sherlock Holmes.
Hart had an interesting audience interaction during the Duke of York's Theatre's 2009 production of Andrew Bovell's play Speaking in Tongues. After the performance on 23 November, Hart went into the audience and remonstrated with a man whom he had earlier told to "shut up" from the stage. Eyewitnesses say that Hart assaulted the audience member.
Hart's wife is named Lynne. The couple have two daughters – Daisy (born 1997) and Holly (born 2001) — and have lived in Crouch End, north London. He is an Everton supporter. Hart lived in Los Angeles between 2010 and 2012, but now settles in Crouch End, north London with his family.
- The Hours and Times (1991)... John Lennon
- Backbeat (1994)... John Lennon
- Clockwork Mice (1995)... Steve
- Nothing Personal (1995)... Ginger
- The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain (1995)... Johnny Shellshocked (Jones)
- Land and Freedom (1995)... David Carr
- Michael Collins (1996)... Joe O'Reilly
- Hollow Reed (1996)... Tom Dixon
- The Butcher Boy (1997)... Uncle Alo
- Monument Ave. (1998)... Mouse
- B. Monkey (1998) ... Steve Davis
- Frogs for Snakes (1998) ... Quint
- Enemy of the State (1998)... Det. John Bingham
- Wonderland (1999)... Dan
- The End of the Affair (1999)... Mr. Parkis
- This Year's Love (1999)... Liam
- Born Romantic (2000)... Second Cab Driver
- The Closer You Get aka American Women (2000)... Kieran
- Best (2000)... Nobby Stiles
- Aberdeen (2000)... Clive
- Liam (2000)... Dad
- Longitude (2000)... William Harrison
- Strictly Sinatra (2001)... Tony Cocozza
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)... Professor Quirrell and Lord Voldemort (voice and motion capture)
- Blind Flight (2003)... Brian Keenan
- Finding Neverland (2004)... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Breakfast on Pluto (2005)... PC Wallis
- Rag Tale (2005)... Morph
- Ripley Under Ground (2005)... Bernard Sayles
- A Cock and Bull Story (2006)... Joe
- A Girl and a Gun (2007, Short)... Johnny
- Morris: A Life with Bells On (2009) ... Endeavour
- Within the Whirlwind (2009)... Beylin
- A Boy Called Dad (2010)... Joe
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (2011)... Professor Quirrell (uncredited; Appears in flashback)
- Klondike (2014)... Soapy Smith
- One Summer [billed as Ian Davies] (1983)... Rabbit
- Loved Up (1995)... Tom
- The Hound of the Baskervilles (2002)... Dr. Watson
- Dad's Dead (2003)... Narrator
- Eroica (2003)... Ludwig van Beethoven
- Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking (2004)... Dr. Watson
- The Virgin Queen (2005)... William Cecil, Lord Burghley
- Dirt (2007–2008)... Don Konkey
- Father & Son (2009)... Tony Conroy
- Five Daughters (TV serial) (2010)... Detective Chief Superintendent Stewart Gull
- When Harvey Met Bob (2010)... Harvey Goldsmith
- The Man Who Crossed Hitler (2011)... Adolf Hitler
- Luck (2011)... Lonnie
- My Mad Fat Diary (2013–2015)...Kester
- Playhouse Presents - Snodgrass (2013)...John Lennon
- Bates Motel (2013)...Will Decody (Emma's father)
- Rogue (2013)...Buddy Wilson
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013)...Dr. Franklin Hall
- The Driver (2014)
- Boardwalk Empire (TV series) (2014)...Ethan Thompson (Nucky's father)
- The Bridge (2013 TV series) (2014)... CIA Agent Buckley
- The Last Kingdom (TV series) (2015)... Beocca (priest)
- Vinyl (TV series) (2016)... Peter Grant
- The Secret Agent (miniseries) (2016) ...The Professor
- Johnno's Dead (2016)... Narrator
- "Ian Hart". The New York Times.
- 'Merseyside' did not exist prior to 1st April 1974
- Claire Armitstead (4 April 2001). "The Friday Interview: Ian Hart | Interviews | Guardian Unlimited Film". London: Film.guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Harry Potter villain 'attacks' audience member for talking during West End play". London: Daily Mail. 24 November 2009. Retrieved 24 November 2009.
- "BBC News – Dame Shirley Bassey drama to screen on BBC Two". Bbc.co.uk. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "The Secret Agent: Episode 1: Credits". BBC Online. Retrieved 25 July 2016.