Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
|भारतीय प्रबंध संस्थान अहमदाबाद|
Motto in English
|Progress Through the Application of Knowledge|
|Type||Public business school|
|Chairman||Kumar Mangalam Birla (2016–present)|
|Dean||Shailesh Gandhi (Programmes),Errol D'Souza (Faculty), Arvind Sahay (Alumni & External Relations)|
405: PGP (2016–18)|
45: PGP – ABM (2013–15)
90: PGPX (2016–17)
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
23°01′54″N 72°32′11″E / 23.031661°N 72.536325°ECoordinates: 23°01′54″N 72°32′11″E / 23.031661°N 72.536325°E
|Campus||Urban, 106 acres (0.43 km2)|
The Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIM Ahmedabad or IIM-A) is a public business school located in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. It was the second Indian Institute of Management (IIM) to be established, after IIM Calcutta. It is consistently ranked as one of the leading business schools in India and the Asia-Pacific region.
Established in 1961, the institute offers Post Graduate Diploma Programmes in Management and Agri-Business Management, a Fellowship Programme and a number of Executive Training Programmes. The institute is often referred to as WIMWI (Well-known Institute of Management in Western India).
The Indian Institutes of Management were established in response to the growing need for educating professional managers who could efficiently manage India's growing industries. They were established with the objectives of providing both management education and assisting the industry through research and consulting services.
IIM Ahmedabad was the second IIM to be set up in the country after IIM Calcutta. It was established on 11 December 1961 with the active support of the Government of India, the Government of Gujarat and the industry. The physicist Vikram Sarabhai and businessman Kasturbhai Lalbhai, both natives of Ahmedabad, played pivotal roles in setting up the Institute. The institute's Kasturbhai Lalbhai Management Development Centre and a Kasturbhai Lalbhai Chair in Entrepreneurship are named in his honour. The management educator Ravi J. Matthai and several other Ahmedabad-based industrialists also played a major role in its creation.
The institute's main building was designed by American architect Louis Kahn. The New Campus, an extension stemming from growing needs of the institute, and an underpass connecting the two campuses, has been designed by Bimal Patel.
Like other IIMs, IIM Ahmedabad currently offers diplomas in management, not degrees. IIMs have not been set up as universities through an act of Parliament but as charitable societies. IIMs lack regular peer-based academic review of their departments/areas, an oversight proposed to be corrected by legislation governing all 19 IIMs after the Ministry of Human Resource Development rejected IIM Bangalore's plans to award degrees. It offers following full-time post graduate programmes:
- Post-Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) - Two-year, full-time MBA programme
- Post-Graduate Programme in Food and Agribusiness Management (PGP-FABM) - Two-year, full-time MBA programme
- Post-Graduate Programme in Management for Executives (PGPX) - One Year, full-time MBA programme
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) - IIMA’s Doctoral Programme
- Faculty Development Programme (FDP)
- Armed Forces Programme (AFP)
The fee for two year post-graduate programs earlier was Rs 18.50 Lakh. From 2016-18 batch, the fee has been revised to Rs 19.50 Lakh for the programs.
In the 1960s the institute's first faculty dismissal took place for plagiarising verbatim an article from a German journal which that faculty member had access to. On 29 June 1992 a student complained to the Director IIM-A that a textbook authored by Institute professors had been simply lifted from three other books. On enquiry a Committee found copying without acknowledgment of the source from least 5 foreign books and some other Indian books. In the 3rd such instance of alleged plagiarism, around 21 March 2012, 5 IIM-A professors were accused of plagiarism a fortnight after the Gujarat High Court had directed a fresh inquiry into earlier plagiarism allegations. Two of the professors holding key posts had offered to step down until the enquiry was completed. In July 2012 IIM sources claimed the inquiry report exonerating some of these professors was deliberately withheld (and not formally placed on the Institute records) since three of the four professors who were accused of plagiarism were potential candidates for the director's post and could be considered only after the allegations are found to be baseless.
|Business – international|
|Financial Times (MBA)||26|
|Business – India|
IIM Ahmedabad is the premier business school in India. The Financial Times has ranked IIM Ahmedabad's PGP programme at #15 in its Masters in Management Ranking 2015 and PGPX programme at #24 in its Global MBA Ranking 2016. IIM-A is the only Indian institute listed by The Economist in its 2015 Full-time B-school ranking, at #60.
In India, IIM Ahmedabad is ranked #1 by Business Today 2015, Outlook India 2015, India Today 2015, The Hindu BusinessLine-MBA Universe 2016 and Business World 2015. IIM-A is ranked #2 by National Institutional Ranking Framework published by Ministry of Human Resource Development in April 2016
Currently it mentors Indian Institute of Management Nagpur from its establishment in 2015. IIM Nagpur operates from temporary campus inside VNIT. It follows similar PGP program with faculty coming from IIM Ahmedabad.
Student events include Confluence, an international management symposium organised in the month of November, and ConneXion, an annual event organized by the one year Post-Graduate Program in Management for Executives (PGPX) students. Other events include Chaos, an annual culfest, Sangharsh, an inter-IIM sports tournament and Insight, a market research event. Its Finance & Investments Club, BETA organises a financial services focused event titled 'Exchequer' which in its 2011 edition saw Nilesh Shah, President of Corporate Banking at Axis Bank speaking with the students. It is also responsible for IIM Ahmedabad's annual flagship publication, 'The Efficient Frontier'.
The flagship events at Confluence include Masterplan, the business plan competition; Bizquizzitive, a business quiz event; Mouse Trap, a business simulation event and Corporate Combat, a business strategy simulation event The speaker series at Confluence has seen eminent speakers in the past including Ratan Tata, Vijay Mallya, Mukesh Ambani, Kiran Bedi, Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chandrababu Naidu, Rakesh Sharma etc.
Chaos is the annual cultural festival of IIMA and one of the biggest in the region. Its yearly editions have been centred on themes like diversity, colour or going green. The cultural festivities draws footfalls of around 50,000 visitors in the four days of revelry and participation from institutes across the country. ProNites are especially a huge success with a large number of top class artists coming and performing on one stage.
In the past, Chaos has witnessed musical performances by Jagjit Singh, Amaan and Ayaan Ali, Shankar Ehsaan Loy to name a few. The 2012 edition hosted a variety of events including an online treasure hunt, fashion shows, rock competitions, and contests of dance, drama, fine arts and quizzing.
ConneXions is the flagship event for the PGPX program at IIMA. It is a knowledge summit that epitomizes the vibrancy and buzz of a business school. ConneXions has seen a lot of eminent speakers from the industry including Suresh Prabhu, Kiran Karnik, Ramaswami Balasubramaniam, Ram Sewak Sharma, Tamal Bandyopadhyay, Shyam Srinivasan etc.
The theme for ConneXions 2016 is : Transforming India: Ideas to Implementation.
- "Kumar Mangalam Birla appointed as new chairman of IIM-A". The Indian Express. 23 October 2016.
- "Faculty Profile - IIM A".
- "Announcement of appointment – Director, IIMA" (PDF). www.iima.ac.in. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "IIMA's Eighth batch of PGPX inaugurated" (PDF). 8 April 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Heritage Campus-Louis Kahn". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- "New Campus". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- Swati Garg (12 May 2011). "Q&A: Shekhar Chaudhury, Director, IIM Calcutta". Business Standard. Kolkata: Business Standard Limited.
- is world's best 24th business school in 2016, indian-institute-of-management-ahmedabad-iima/global-mba-ranking-2014 Business Education: Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. Ft.com
- IIM-A ranked 2nd best biz school in Asia-Pacific
- "Programmes-IIMA". iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- RC Bhargava; Ajit Balakrishnan; Anusua Basu; Ram S Tarneja; Ashok Thakur (25 September 2008). "Report of IIM Review Committee" (PDF). GOVERNMENT OF INDIA: MINISTRY OF HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- The IIMA Story by Praful Anubhai, page
- "Key facts-IIMA". iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Ravi Matthai: a rank outsider who became a pillar at IIM-A". Indian Express. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "How India's best-known B-school got built". Business Line. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "Project: New Campus for IIMA - HCPDPM". www.indian-architects.com. Retrieved 2015-05-27.
- IIMs give diplomas not degrees
- Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Fellow Programme in Management
- The IIMA Story - Prafull Anubhai - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. 2011-12-16. ISBN 9788184002775. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Indian Institute Of Management vs Ukakant Shrivastva on 16 March, 2001". Indiankanoon.org. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (12 March 2012). "Ahmedabad institutes find it tough to fight plagiarism | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "5 more IIMA profs accused of plagiarism, News - Latest - Ahmedabad Mirror,Ahmedabad Mirror". Ahmedabadmirror.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Accused IIMA profs deny allegations, News - City - Ahmedabad Mirror,Ahmedabad Mirror". Ahmedabadmirror.com. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Dayananda Yumlembam, TNN 29 March 2012, 02.41AM IST (29 March 2012). "IIM-A profs offer to give up key posts - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (21 July 2012). "Is plagiarism charge aimed at IIMA's director hopefuls? | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (30 January 2012). "Plagiarism plagues Ahmedabad's institutes | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "2012 Full time MBA ranking". The Economist. 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2011. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- "Global MBA Rankings 2013". Financial Times. 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2016". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "HRD Ministry announces universities ranking, IIT Madras and IIM Bangalore top the list".
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Top Business Colleges in India 2016". Careers360.
- "Business school rankings from the Financial Times - FT.com". rankings.ft.com. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "Business school rankings from the Financial Times - FT.com". rankings.ft.com. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "2015 MBA & Business School Rankings | Which MBA?". The Economist. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "Business Today B-Schools Ranking".
- "India's Best B-Schools In 2015". http://www.outlookindia.com/. Retrieved 2016-04-07. External link in
- "There is life beyond IIMs". indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "B School Rankings 2015". BW Businessworld. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "MHRD, National Institute Ranking Framework (NIRF)". www.nirfindia.org. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "Programme – PGP". IIM Nagpur. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "IIM Nagpur Faculty". IIM Nagpur. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Welcome to IIM Nagpur". IIM Nagpur. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "iims in india". MHRD. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Leadership lessons at IIMA". Times of India. 26 November 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "IIMA ConneXion Website".
- Iron Maiden show to intensify IIM-A Chaos, Dayananda Yumlembam, The Times of India, 15 December 2011, accessed on 6 January 2012
- IIMA's Insight to rock for first time this year, Dayananda Meitei, Daily News and Analysis, 7 October 2009, accessed on 6 January 2012
- Exchequer, BETA – The Finance & Investments Club of IIM-A, accessed on 11 February 2012
- The Efficient Frontier, BETA – The Finance & Investments Club of IIM-A, accessed on 11 February 2012
- Students get investment tips at IIM-A, Times of India, accessed on 11 February 2012
- "Course, Fees & Profile, IIM Ahemdabad". Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Leadership lessons at IIM-A's 13th Confluence". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "IIM-Lucknow wins 1st prize at 'Confluence 2011'". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Babu demanded bribe for Delhi posting: Kiran Bedi". Times of India. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Confluence: Stars touch down at IIM-A campus". Economic Times. 26 November 2005. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "IIM-Ahmedabad all set to rock with 'Colourful Chaos 2012'". Ahmedabad Mirror. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Chaos ends at IIM-A". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Iron Maiden show to intensify IIM-A Chaos". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "IIMA's Insight to rock for first time this year". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "IIM-A to gauge consumers reaction on BRTS". Times of India. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "In Their 'A' Days". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Bhuyan, Ragini (10 February 2016). "The B-school education of top Indian CEOs". Live Mint. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.|