Huta Stalowa Wola
|joint stock company|
|Headquarters||Stalowa Wola, Poland|
|Products||Artillery equipment, Special vehicles, Engineering equipment|
|Total equity||243496528.25 PLN|
|Owner||~90 % Republic of Poland|
|Parent||Polska Grupa Zbrojeniowa SA|
|Subsidiaries||Jelcz Sp. z OO|
It was established in 1938-1939 in the Second Polish Republic. It was a major part of a series of investments made by the Polish government in the years 1936–1939 to create the Central Industrial Region. This was to be a group of factories built in an area in the middle of the country, away from the borders with Germany and the USSR. It was designed to provide a reasonably secure location for the production of armaments and high technology goods.
The mill was set up in order to manufacture high alloy steels and weapons - artillery and heavy machine guns - in 1937. A city quickly grew around the mill, and took its name from it (the town of Stalowa Wola).
In 1960s and 1970s the company started production of heavy construction machinery, and in the 1980s, it was one of major centers of oppositional activities (see 1988 Polish strikes). In 1991 Huta Stalowa Wola became a joint stock company.
It is still the major employer in the town, and a major producer of military equipment in Poland.
HSW SA as of Feb. 1, 2012 sold its construction machinery division to the Guangxi Liugong Machinery.
In 2012, HSW bought Jelcz-Komponenty Sp. z OO .
HSW SA is included in Polska Grupa Zbrojeniowa SA.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Huta Stalowa Wola.|