Howard A. Stephenson
|Howard A. Stephenson|
|Member of the Utah Senate|
from the 11th district
Assumed office |
|Born||November 7, 1950|
|Religion||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
Personal Life, Education, and Career
Stephenson received a B.S. degree in psychology and aerospace studies from Brigham Young University, and a Master of Public Administration, also from Brigham Young University. Since then, he has worked as a taxpayer advocate and in 2014, he served as President of the Utah Taxpayers Association. Stephenson is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon).
As a Utah State Senator, Stephenson is well-positioned to influence Utah legislation relating to education and to state revenues. As a state Senator, Stephenson has won the following awards:
- Utah Republican Hispanic Assembly Recognition
- Utah Council for Exceptional Children Legislator of the Year
- Utah Association for Gifted Children Community Service Award
- Coalition for People with Disabilities 1995, 1998, 2001, 2002 “Hero on the Hill” Award
- Alpine School District Children’s Behavioral Therapy Unit Autism Preschool Recognition
- Education Leadership Coalition Recognition
- Utah Valley Autism Preschool Recognition
- Utah Food Industry Association 2001, 2004 Outstanding Legislative Service Award
- Utah Farm Bureau Federation Friend of Agriculture Award
- Utah Information Technology Association Recognition
- National Federation of Independent Business Guardian of Small Business Award
- Utah Taxpayers Association Friend of the Taxpayer Award
- Utah Restaurant Association Legislator of the Year, 2003, 2004
- Utah Health Insurance Association Legislator of the Year
- Utah Correctional Industries Award
- Sandy City Outstanding Elected Official
- Grassroots Distinguished Service Award
- Utah Association of Realtors Distinguished Service Award
- Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee
- Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee (Senate Chair)
- Senate Education Committee
- Senate Revenue and Taxation Committee
2016 sponsored bills
|Bill Number||Bill Title||Bill Status|
|S.B. 38||School Funding Amendments||Governor Signed 3/23/2016|
|S.B. 87||Administrative Rulemaking Act Modifications||Governor Signed 3/17/2016|
|S.B. 88||Administrative Rules Reauthorization||Governor Signed 3/29/2016|
|S.B. 93||Computer Science Initiative For Public Schools||Governor Signed 3/28/2016|
|S.B. 112||Property Tax Assessment Amount Amendments||Governor Signed 3/29/2016|
|S.B. 120||Property Tax Notice Amendments||Governor Signed 3/28/2016|
|S.B. 139||Board of Education Approval Amendments||Governor Signed 3/23/2016|
|S.B. 143||Competency Based Learning Amendments||Governor Signed 3/28/2016|
|S.B. 152||Accelerated Foreign Language Course Amendments||Governor Signed 3/18/2016|
|S.B. 163||Kindergarten Amendments||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.B. 165||Public Education Appointment and Hiring||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.B. 176||Office of the State Board of Education Amendments||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.B. 204||Free Market Protection and Privatization Board Act Amendments||Governor Signed 3/22/2016|
|S.B. 211||Private Use of Drones||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.B. 224||Student Assesments||Senate/Filed for bills not passed 3/10/2016|
|S.B. 228||Multicounty Assessing and Collecting Levy Amendments||Governor Signed 3/25/2016|
|S.B. 237||Immigration and Alien Related Amendments||Governor Signed 3/18/2016|
|S.B. 239||School Governance Amendments||Governor Signed 3/28/2016|
Stephenson is a proponent of year-round schools. He believes that moving public schools to a trimester schedule will save money. On his campaign website, he states that he supports "tuition tax credits or vouchers."
He has proposed a bill which would require surety bonds for guest workers, to "ensure that . . . the people who are here have no criminal background, are disease free, and are paying their own cost of policing."
- "Stephenson, Howard". Utah State Senate. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "Meet Howard". Howard Stephenson. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "Howard A. Stephenson's Political Summary". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "District 11 Senator - Utah State Senate". senate.utah.gov. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- "Howard Stephenson - Ballotpedia". ballotpedia.org. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- "2016 -- Legislation(Senate)". le.utah.gov. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Stewart, Kirsten (November 18, 2009). "Year-round schools pitch fails -- for now". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Howard Stephenson campaign website, statement on education
- "Lawmakers crafting numerous immigration bills," KSL news, August 9, 2010