High Council of State (Libya)
|High Council of State |
المجلس الأعلى للدولة
|Founded||5 April 2016|
First Deputy Chairman
Second Deputy Chairman
New GNC (134)
|Appointed by the General National Congress|
Radisson Blu Al Mahary Hotel|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The High Council of State, (Arabic: المجلس الأعلى للدولة), also known as the Supreme Council of State, is an advisory body for Libya formed under the terms of the Libyan Political Agreement which was signed on 17 December 2015. The agreement resulted from United Nations supported peace talks and has been unanimously endorsed by the Security Council. The High Council of state is able to advise the interim Government of National Accord (GNA) and the House of Representatives (HoR) and can express a binding opinion on these bodies under certain circumstances. The members of the council will be nominated by the 2014 General National Congress, a body formed from members of the previous General National Congress which served as Libya's legislature between 2012 and 2014. The members of the council met for the first time on 27 February 2016 and it was formally established at a ceremony at the Radisson Blu Al Mahary Hotel in Tripoli on 5 April 2016. The council moved into the headquarters of the former General National Congress, at the Rixos Al Nasr Convention Centre, on 22 April 2016. Following clashes with gunmen loyal to the former General National Council, the High Council of State once again took up residence in the Radisson Blu Al Mahary Hotel in late October 2016.
On August 2016, a 94 members rival High Council of State is proclaimed in Benghazi and its members want to join the official body.
- "State Supreme Council elects Al-Sweihli as President". Libyan Express. 2016-04-06. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "Al-Makhzoum: PC will announce leadership of Libyan army soon". Libyan Express. 2016-04-06. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "GNC members announce its "dissolution" and creation of the State Council". Libya Herald. 2016-04-05. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "Al-Sweihli sends three High Council of State members to investigation - The Libya Observer".
- "High Council of State evacuated over rift with its security guards - Libyan Express". 10 October 2016.
- High Council of State - Official Facebook feed (Arabic)
- High Council of State - Official Facebook feed (English)
- High Council of State - Official Twitter feed