HighBeam Research logo since February 2004.
|Alexa rank||58,896 (as of December 2016)|
All rights reserved
HighBeam Research is a paid search engine and full text online archive owned by Cengage Learning (through its Gale subsidiary) for thousands of newspapers, magazines, academic journals, newswires, trade magazines, and encyclopedias in English. It is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois.
The company was established in August 2002 after Patrick Spain, who had just sold Hoover's, which he had co-founded, bought eLibrary and Encyclopedia.com from Tucows. The new company was called Alacritude, LLC (a combination of Alacrity and Attitude). ELibrary had a library of 1,200 newspaper, magazine and radio/ TV transcript archives that were generally not freely available.
Later in 2002, it bought Researchville.com. By 2003, it had increased its archive base to articles from 2,600 publishers. In 2004, it was renamed HighBeam Research. In 2005, it increased its publisher base to 3,500 publishers. In 2006, Oxford University Press, Knight Ridder and The Washington Post archives were added. In 2008, it was purchased by Cengage Learning. Highbeam features many articles by the UK based Trinity Mirror Group.
Highbeam Research is a partner in the Womensforum network and a major content provider for the WomensForum women's issues research website.
- "Alexa.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- "Publications by category". HighBeam Research. Cengage Learning. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Contact Us." HighBeam Research. Retrieved September 24, 2012. "HighBeam Research c/o Cengage Learning 1 North State Street Suite 900 Chicago, IL 60602 USA"
- "About Us". Highbeam. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "Q&A: Patrick Spain, Founder HighBeam". InterNetNews. February 20, 2004. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Gwen (December 16, 2008). "Gale Acquired HighBeam Research". Web search guide. Archived from the original on March 5, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- "Highbeam Research is a WomensForum Network Partner". WomensForum. Retrieved October 6, 2012.