|Established||July 26, 1975|
|President||Dr. Yasser Sakr|
|Students||103305 (February 1, 2008)|
|Location||Greater Cairo, Egypt|
It is generally known for its engineering and business study courses. Especially notable are its Faculties of Engineering (there are two); the Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration, with specialized departments dealing with foreign trade, international relations, and business information systems; the Faculty of Computers & Information; and the Faculty of Science.
Faculty of Medicine is the newest faculty of them all, the university hospital is at Badr city. Helwan university also has a Faculty of Nursing, and its Faculty of Pharmacy is known to be the first clinical pharmacy in Egypt.
Helwan University is a member of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Universities. It was established on July 26, 1975 by Act No. 70 of 1975.
According to Webometrics Ranking of World Universities, Helwan University is ranked 2028rd in the world and 7th in Egypt.
The University has 21 faculties:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Applied Arts
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Faculty of Art Education
- Faculty of Music Education
- Faculty of Physical Education (Men)
- Faculty of Physical Education (Women)
- Faculty of Home Economics
- Faculty of Tourism and Hotel Management
- Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration
- Faculty of Computers and Information
- Faculty of Engineering (Helwan)
- Faculty of Engineering (Mataria)
- Faculty of Industrial Education
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Social Work
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Education
In addition to the Central Library there are specialist libraries in the various faculties.