Location within Austria
|Coordinates: 47°52′N 16°58′E / 47.867°N 16.967°ECoordinates: 47°52′N 16°58′E / 47.867°N 16.967°E|
|District||Neusiedl am See|
|• Mayor||Peter Nachtnebel|
|• Total||55.2 km2 (21.3 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||34/km2 (88/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
In 2008 a team of archeologists discovered a third-century AD amulet in the form of a gold scroll with the words of the Jewish prayer Shema' Yisrael (Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one) inscribed on it. It is considered to be the earliest surviving evidence of a Jewish presence in what is now Austria.
Halbturn Castle was built between 1701 and 1711 by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt as a hunting lodge for Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor. His daughter, Empress Maria Theresa, had it enlarged and gave it to her daughter Maria Christina, Duchess of Teschen. In 1955 it was inherited by Baron Paul Waldbott von Bassenheim, a Habsburg matrilineal descendant. In 2008 it passed to his nephew, Count Markus Königsegg.
- Statistik Austria - Bevölkerung zu Jahresbeginn 2002-2016 nach Gemeinden (Gebietsstand 2016-01-01), 2016-01-01.
- Archaeological sensation in Austria. Scientists from the University of Vienna unearth the earliest evidence of Jewish inhabitants in Austria, 13.03.08,