Grimsargh railway station
Late 1970s, looking south, towards Preston, over site of level crossing
|Place||Preston Road, Grimsargh|
|Coordinates||53°48′15″N 2°37′52″W / 53.8043°N 2.6310°WCoordinates: 53°48′15″N 2°37′52″W / 53.8043°N 2.6310°W|
Preston and Longridge Railway (main station)|
Lancashire County Council (hospital station)
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway/London and North Western Railway (main station)|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway (main station)|
|Platforms||2 (1 per station)|
|1 May 1840||Main station opened|
|1870||Station building erected|
|1889||Hospital station opened|
|31 May 1930||Main station closed to passengers|
|29 June 1957||Hospital station closed|
|9 November 1967||Main station closed to goods|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
| Maps showing|
|Old OS Maps (estimated 1925 to 1945)|
|NPE Maps (1947-48)|
|Vision of Britain|
|OS 1:10000 Map on MARIO (about 1850)|
When the line first opened in 1840, wagons carrying quarried stone ran downhill from Longridge to Preston and were hauled in the other direction by horses. There were rudimentary passenger facilities at Grimsargh — the nearby Plough Hotel was used as a booking office. It was not until 1870 that a proper station building was constructed, when the line was run jointly by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the London and North Western Railway.
In 1889, the privately run Whittingham Hospital Railway was opened to a second Grimsargh Station which was diagonally opposite the level crossing from the main station. This station had a run-around loop and a connection with the Longridge line facing in the direction of Longridge. Two sidings were also provided. On a single short platform, the station building comprised an open fronted shed of brick and wood with an overall roof and canopy. The building was some 40 ft (12 m) in length by 12 ft (3.6 m) wide with a 10 ft (3 m) waiting room at the Longridge end. Hospital trains were timed to connect with trains to and from Preston.
The Longridge-to-Preston line closed to passengers in 1930, but the hospital line continued to be used until 1957 when its single steam locomotive was condemned. The Longridge line's goods service was finally withdrawn in 1967. The station's buildings were demolished in the late 1970s and houses built on the site, the new houses following the alignment of the former station buildings.
- Aubertin, C. (2006) "Solving a Victorian Problem", Steam World, 232 (October), p. 26-31
- Biddle, Gordon (1989) The Railways Around Preston—A Historical Review, Scenes from the past, 6, Foxline Publishing, ISBN 1-870119-05-3
- Suggitt, G. (2003, revised 2004) Lost Railways of Lancashire, Countryside Books, Newbury, ISBN 1-85306-801-2
- Till, J.M. (1993) A History of Longridge and its People, Carnegie Publishing, Preston, ISBN 0-948789-92-1
Grimsargh Station remains, late 1970s, looking northeast towards Longridge. The site of the former Hospital station was across the road on the left.
The Plough, opposite the station site, which acted as ticket office before the station was built. The footpath to the left, between two fences, follows the course of the dismantled line.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
| L&YR / L&NWR joint
Preston and Longridge Railway
|Terminus||Whittingham Hospital Railway||Whittingham Hospital|