|Public limited company|
|Traded as||LSE: GFTU|
Gavin Slark (CEO)
|Revenue||€ 2,212.0 million (2015)|
|€ 128.2 million (2015)|
|€ 96.5 million (2015)|
The company was established by William Chadwick as Chadwicks (Dublin) Ltd in 1902. It subsequently became Concrete Products of Ireland. It was the subject of an Initial Public Offering in 1965 and building materials company Marley subsequently took a 51% stake. Michael Chadwick bought out Marley and renamed the business Grafton Group in 1987. In March 1998, it bought British Dredging, a United Kingdom builders merchants. In February 2003, it bought Jackson Building Centres, another British builders merchants, based in Lincolnshire.
In October 2003, it also bought Plumbline, Scotland's largest independent plumbers merchants. In June 2004, it bought Heiton Group, Ireland’s largest independent plumbers merchants. In December 2006, it then bought Plumbworld, one of the United Kingdom’s largest online bathroom retailers. In August 2013, it bought Wearside builders' merchant Thompsons, in October 2013, it bought Binje Ackermans, a Brussels-based merchanting operation, and in December 2013, Grafton Group opened 10 showrooms, and launched a brand new website called Bohen, which focuses on the bathroom, kitchen and bedroom industry.
Then in September 2014, it bought Direct Builders Merchants, a general merchanting business based in Kent and in December 2014, it bought Crescent Building Supplies, a builders' merchant based in Ruislip.
In March 2015, it bought TG Lynes, a distributor of mechanical engineering products, in January 2016, it bought T Brewer, a London Timber distributor, and in March 2016, it bought Allsand Supplies, a general builders' merchant located in Kent.
The company owns the Buildbase, Plumbase, Woodies, Civils & Lintels, Selco & Jacksons brands. It also has a number of businesses that trade exclusively online.
- "Annual Report 2015" (PDF). Grafton Group. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Michael Chadwick: Grafton Group Business & Finance, 2010
- Beating the Budget blues The Independent, 10 December 2011
- "Grafton is tracking British Dredging". www.independent.ie. 10 March 1998.
- "Plumbline duo cash in as Grafton enters Scotland". www.scotsman.com. 7 October 2003.
- Grafton boosted by Heiton buy Construction News, 13 September 2005
- Plumbworld appoint new deputy Managing Director Journalism, 13 August 2012
- Robert Gibson (29 August 2013). "Thompsons merchants acquired for £3.8m by Grafton group". journallive. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Grafton Group acquires Binje Ackermans for €20.5m". Independent.ie. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Campaign unveiled to launch new kitchen, bedroom and bathroom brand Bohen". Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Grafton Group Buys Kent-Based Direct Builders... - Morningstar". MorningstarUK. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Will Ackermann (4 December 2014). "Ruislip-based builders' merchants bought out by multi-billion pound firm". getwestlondon. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Grafton Group acquires TG Lynes". Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Grafton Group acquires London timber firm T Brewer". The Irish Times. 5 January 2016. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Grafton Group acquires Allsand Supplies". Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Grafton group suffers from bad weather Builders Merchant Journal, 6 May 2010
- Grafton Merchanting buys online merchant Builder's Merchant News, 30 June 2010