Giovanni Battista Ciolina
He was born in Toceno, Verbania. He trained along with Carlo Fornara and Gian Maria Rastellini under Enrico Cavalli, at the Scuola Valentini Rossetti in Santa Maria Maggiore in Val Vigezzo. In the late 1880s, he received a stipend to attend the Scuola di nudo at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Venice for two years. From 1895 to 1896, he traveled with Fornaro to Lyon to paint. He exhibited the painting Il filo spezzato at the 1897 Triennale di Brera.
In 1914 he moved from Milan to Toceno. He painted in oil in the outdoors. At the 1907 Biennale of Venice, he exhibited the Prelude to Spring; and at Milan in 1895, Interior of the Stable. He painted frescoes for the church of Binago in Como. Late in life he painted some still lifes. He also painted a number of frescoes of religious subjects, including the Mellerio Chapel (1917) in the Craveggia Cemetery at Piano di Masera, and in collaboration with Fornaro, the Miracle of St Anthony at the cemetery of Toceno.