|Location||Jalan Ilmiah, Taman Universiti, 43000 Kajang, Selangor, Malaysia|
The German-Malaysian Institute (GMI; German: Deutsch-Malaysisches Institut Malay: Institut Jerman-Malaysia) is the German-Malaysian educational institute in Malaysia. It was located at Taman Shamelin-Perkasa, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur but has moved to the new campus in Jalan Ilmiah, Taman Universiti, 43000 Kajang, Selangor. GMI started its first student enrollment in 1992. The educational goal of GMI is to train technicians in highly skilled areas of education.
German-Malaysian Institute (GMI) was established in 1991. It is a centre for advanced skills training that offers courses with hands-on practical and theory in the fields of Productions Technology and Industrial Electronics.
The formation of GMI is a result of a joint venture project between the Governments of Malaysia and Germany. It is governed by a Board of Directors composed of ten representatives from the industry and also the government bodies. This institution is set up as a Company Limited by Guarantee where the founders are Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) and the Malaysian German Chamber of Commerce & Industry (MGCC). GMI had its first student enrolment in 1992 and the number continues to grow until now.
GMI offers 3-year full-time diploma programs in Industrial Electronics (Electronics & IT, Mechatronics, Process Instrumentation & Control, Network Security, Sustainable Energy and Power Distribution, Industrial Plant Maintenance) & Production Technology (Mould, Tool & Die, Product Design & Manufacturing, CNC, Sheet Metal Fabrication & Product Development, Manufacturing System), German A-Level Preparatory Program (GAPP) and Technical Teacher Training Program. Other services include short-term technology-related courses, industrial projects and consultancy.
All GMI programs are industrial-based, and result-oriented. Throughout the years of operation, GMI has graduated students in various fields namely design, manufacture, operation, maintenance, fault analysis and complex production plant repair, machinery, equipment, tools and manufactured products.
GMI Sports Complex which is a mere five-minute walk away from the student apartment complex is the place to rejuvenate the mind after a long day. The indoor complex consists of five multipurpose courts for takraw, basketball and badminton, alongside the futsal and squash courts. For outdoor games like tennis, netball, basketball and volleyball, courts are located on the peripheries of the complex. Adjacent to the main complex is a soccer field with roofed grandstand and seats.
Part of GMI amenities include mass-sitting facilities to cater for the growing number of students and staff, and for a variety of occasions. Amongst the facilities are Dewan Gemilang Mercu Idaman (GMI Hall); an auditorium and two lecture halls. Standing significantly in the centre of the training compound and with a hemispherical roof atop it is Dewan Gemilang Mercu. This hall accommodates up to a maximum of 3,000 pax in a theatre layout and a maximum of 600 pax in a banquet setting, at any one time. The hall is equipped with AV facilities – projectors for the centre of the backdrop and for both sides of the stage, and complementing audio equipment.
GMI admission offers new students accommodation (subject to availability). Students are given the option and are encouraged to stay in the hostel. The hostel is located within the campus which is gated and guarded 24-hours a day. There are 6 high-rise elevated hostel blocks that can accommodate 3,010 students at any one time. Basic facilities such as beds, mattresses, wardrobes, study tables and chairs are provided for each unit and each student. Other facilities are washing machines, pantry and TV Room. Cafeterias and a surau, which is also used for the weekly Friday prayer is also located in the hostel area. Students can also make use of sports facilities at the Sports Complex which is within walking distance from the hostel.
Strategically located on the ground floor of Kompleks Teknologi 1, the Library braces the Institute’s mission as a caring community of learning, by assuming the role of an information centre for both supplementary and complementary information.
Department of Industrial Electronics (IE)
- Diploma in Creative Multimedia
- Diploma in Network Security
- Diploma in Industrial Electronics (Mechatronics)
- Diploma in Industrial Electronics (Process Instrumentation & Control)
- Diploma in Industrial Electronics (Electronics & Information Technology)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Sustainable Energy & Power Distribution)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Industrial Plant Maintenance)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Autotronics & Hybrid System)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Facilities & Building Automation)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Industrial Communication System)
Department of Production Technology (PT)
- Diploma in Product Design & Manufacturing
- Diploma in CNC Precision Technology
- Diploma in Production Technology (Mould Technology)
- Diploma in Production Technology (Tool & Die Technology)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Industrial Design)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Machine Tool Maintenance)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Sheet Metal Fabrication & Product Development)
- Diploma in Engineering Technology (Manufacturing System)
Pre-University Programmes (A-Level)
- German A-Level Preparatory Programme (GAPP)