George Frederick Pentecost
George Frederick Pentecost, was a prominent American evangelist and co-worker with Revivalist D.L. Moody, He was born September 23, 1842 in Albion, Illinois to Hugh Lockett and Emma Flower Pentecost. She was the daughter of George Flower (1788-1862), the founder of the town.
Pentecost responded to Hindu criticism of slums, saying "Some of the brahmans of India have dared to make an attack upon Christianity. They take the slums of New York and Chicago and ask us why we do not cure ourselves. They take what is outside the pale of Christianity and judge Christianity by it."
Pentecost spoke against the behavior of westerners in Asian countries. When after his return from a longjourney in Asia, the Rev. Dr. George Pentecost was asked— "What are the darkest spots in the missionary outlook?" he replied:— "In lands of spiritual darkness, it is difficult to speak of darkest spots.' I should say, however, that if there is a darkness more dark than other darkness, it is that which is cast into heathen darkness by the ungodliness of the American and European communities that have invaded the East for the sake of trade and empire. The corruption of Western godliness is the worst evil in the East. Of course there are noble exceptions among western commercial men and their families, but as a rule the European and American resident in the East is a constant contradiction to all and everything which the missionary stands for."
- Obituary NY Times
- John Henry Barrows (1893). The World's Parliament of Religions: An Illustrated and Popular Story of the World's First Parliament of Religions, Held in Chicago in Connection with the Columbian Exposition of 1893. Parliament Publishing Company. pp. 143–.
- Judith Snodgrass (2003). Presenting Japanese Buddhism to the West: Orientalism, Occidentalism, and the Columbian Exposition. Univ of North Carolina Press. pp. 288–. ISBN 978-0-8078-5458-7.
- Awakened India. Swami Smaranananda. 1955. p. 219.
- Marie Louise Burke (1958). Swami Vivekananda in America: New Discoveries. Advaita Ashrama. p. 81.
- Ashok Vohra; Arvind Sharma; Mrinal Miri (1 January 2005). Dharma, the Categorial Imperative. D.K. Printworld. p. 381. ISBN 978-81-246-0270-6.
- Marie Louise Burke (1983). Swami Vivekananda in the West: New Discoveries. Advaita Ashrama. p. 130.
- Arthur Judson Brown (1904). New Forces in Old China: An Unwelcome But Inevitable Awakening. F. H. Revell Company. pp. 125–.
- "AMERICA NOT A CHRISTIAN NATION, SAYS DR. PENTECOST". The New York Times. February 11, 1912. Archived from the original on 25 March 2014.
- Obituary Moody Bible Institute Monthly
George F Pentecost DD: A Biographical Sketch with Bible Readings and Experiences with Inquirers. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1882.