(1947–1951, 1958–1973, 1977–1993)
Geneva, New York
|Minor league affiliations|
|League||New York–Penn League (1958–1973, 1977–1993)|
|Border League (1947–1951)|
|Major league affiliations|
|Minor league titles|
|League titles||5 (1949, 1958, 1978, 1987, 1992)|
The Geneva Cubs were a minor league baseball team located in Geneva, New York. The team played in the New York–Penn League, and was affiliated with the Chicago Cubs. Their home stadium was at McDonough Park.
The team was a member of the New York–Penn League. However the team can be traced back to 1947 as the Geneva Red Bird, a member of the Border League. The team's name change a year later to the Geneva Robins and was affiliated with Brooklyn Dodgers in 1949. Geneva disbanded their team on June 26, 1951 and the rest of the league folded a few weeks later.
However the team was resurrected in 1958 as a member of the New York–Penn League as the Geneva Redlegs, and named after their new affiliate the Cincinnati Redlegs. The affiliation lasted until 1963, when the team was renamed the Geneva Senators and became affiliated with the Washington Senators. In 1969 the team briefly became the Geneva Pirates and were affiliated with the Pittsburgh Pirates. The team once again took up the Senators name in 1970. In 1973 the team became an affiliate of the Minnesota Twins and were renamed the Geneva Twins. After a four-year hiatus the team took the Cubs name and began their affiliation with the Chicago Cubs from 1977 to 1993, after which time they moved to Williamsport, Pennsylvania. This franchise still exists today, as the Williamsport Crosscutters, although they are no longer an affiliate of the Cubs.
- "Geneva, New York Minor League History". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved 2014-01-11.